Simplistic Alpha Texture Question

Demeggy

Evening all,

I'm currently banging up some textures that I want to have blank backgrounds in the DDS, so when I pop them onto a simple square plane mesh in 3ds Max, when they're imported, only the coloured content shows up.

In otherwords, a sign if you will.

Can anyone give me a pointer or head me in the right direction?

Tea and Kitkat to the first person to say 'google'. :)

Hi!

Yea its easy and extremely useful to do this stuff.

What u do is on your diffuse (color) texture. open it up and add alpha channel.

Edit the alpha channel so that the outside areas is all black, and only the part that u want to have showing is white.

If u use gray then it will appear translucent and stuff. so u can experiment with that.

Then on the nitristrips block for where the texture is applied on u right click > add property > nialphaproperty.

In the nialphaproperty change the flags from 237 or whatever it is by default to. 4845 its what u use most normally.

4844 i saw on a sign nif tho so that might be good, and 4846 i use on my clothing to fix rendering problems i was having.

i dont really know what the number means tho.

Then there is a threshhold that u can change, from 0 to dunno, 0 probly works just fine to u. the higher the threshold, the more shades of gray will be transparent, and i guess u can make even the white part transparent if u wanted to.

on photoshop.

U go just like adding a new layer. but u have the channels tab selected instead.,

Then it will let ua dd chanel and make it an alpha one.

Bonus - cheers man, think I fathomed it, now all I need to do is get a white mask of my rather complexed looking layer copied and pop it in and it's all sorted :) I'll report back how I got on.