Skyrim Information

Zaldir

I noticed in the QuakeCon video that the Detect life spell indeed only detects living things. Apparently daedra, undead and machines will not be detected by this spell. Was this the same for Oblivion aswell? I seem to recall using detect life to see daedra. :S

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand not detecting undead or dwemer machines, but daedra?I'm pretty sure they're alive, I guess it has something to do with their demonic power.In Oblivion Illusion spells like command creature and fear wouldn't work against them.

What's Dwemer machines?`I didn't see them in Oblivion. :o

And on second thought, maybe the detect life spell will be upgradeable via perks, so that daedra and undead might be viewable if you select certain perks, i don't know.

I noticed in the QuakeCon video that the Detect life spell indeed only detects living things. Apparently daedra, undead and machines will not be detected by this spell. Was this the same for Oblivion aswell? I seem to recall using detect life to see daedra. :S

In Oblivion, Detect Life showed any creature, including skeletons, ghosts, and daedra too. I remember this well, I spent a lot of time trying to find some bosses in dungeons that were too complex.

I seriously hope that in Skyrim that isn't necessary, with that spell "Clairvoyance" (don't know how it's spelled) showing the way through the dungeons.

And on second thought, maybe the detect life spell will be upgradeable via perks, so that daedra and undead might be viewable if you select certain perks, i don't know.

Dwemer Machines were in Morrowind, and were like mechanic-robots that turned from a ball to tall yellow robot.

I don't think Detect Life would have such a perk. It belongs to "Mysticism" skill, so I figure that it will just have the same properties than in Oblivion.

In Oblivion, Detect Life showed any creature, including skeletons, ghosts, and daedra too. I remember this well, I spent a lot of time trying to find some bosses in dungeons that were too complex.

I seriously hope that in Skyrim that isn't necessary, with that spell "Clairvoyance" (don't know how it's spelled) showing the way through the dungeons.

How would it be necessary, it's not like a message is going to pop-up saying "You must use Clairvoyance to continue".

Mysticism is out in Skyrim by the way.

Edited by Corakus

Dwemer Machines were in Morrowind, and were like mechanic-robots that turned from a ball to tall yellow robot.

I don't think Detect Life would have such a perk. It belongs to "Mysticism" skill, so I figure that it will just have the same properties than in Oblivion.

I see, now i understand why i haven't seen nor heard about them before. I've only gotten to the first village in Morrowind. :P

And apparently detect life is placed under the alteration skill. :)

<br>
<br>
<br>I noticed in the QuakeCon video that the Detect life spell indeed only detects <u>living</u> things. Apparently daedra, undead and machines will not be detected by this spell. Was this the same for Oblivion aswell? I seem to recall using detect life to see daedra. :S<br>
<br><br>In Oblivion, Detect Life showed any creature, including skeletons, ghosts, and daedra too. I remember this well, I spent a lot of time trying to find some bosses in dungeons that were too complex.<br>I seriously hope that in Skyrim that isn't necessary, with that spell "Clairvoyance"  (don't know how it's spelled) showing the way through the dungeons.<br>
<br>How would it be necessary, it's not like a message is going to pop-up saying "You must use Clairvoyance to continue".<br><br>Mysticism is out in Skyrim by the way.<br>
<br><br>Of course not. I meant that, say that you are in a dungeon, full-explored, killed all the creatures inside, and such. And then "Oh, I forgot where the exit is!" And there is Clairvoyance to save the day.<br>Hm, if mysticism is out now, then it's less probable that there will be perks for just a specific spell. I think theat perks might actually improve all spells related to that skill, like less mana cost, or something like that.<br> Edited by MaxwellNinx

I can understand not detecting undead or dwemer machines, but daedra?I'm pretty sure they're alive, I guess it has something to do with their demonic power.In Oblivion Illusion spells like command creature and fear wouldn't work against them.

Well, why shouldn't it detect machines and undead? What is it that daedra and living beings have that undead and constructs don't? The truth is it's an arbitrary design decision. No idea why, considering omnipresent quest markers destroyed the purpose of detection in the first place.