Skyrim Information

Zaldir

ehi Zaldiir I think you should update your character screenshot page with the female redguard screenshot posted by Istreed a few pages back

Done, and done! ;)

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New info! from a Q&A

Q: I heard about the multiple quest [markers] but is there an option to turn these off? It would please a lot of morrowind fans.

A: you can turn off any markers you want. There isn’t a setting to do so though

Q: 1. Do you still have to sleep in a bed to level up? 2. Are kids killable in the game?

A: no. No

Q: Are there subtitles in Skyrim for deaf gamers ?

A: Yes, fully subtitled.

Q: Can you move objects in game because it seems my controllers buttons are taken?

A: Yes, you can still move items in the world. Instead of clicking button to pickup item, hold it down to move

Q: Is there any form of regenerating health without any perks etc?

A: Health, magicka, and stamina all regen slowly over time.

Q: Is the EB Games CE for Skyrim going to be available in the U.S. too? Or just Australia?

A: it’s not a CE. It’s their pre-order incentive. Not coming to US

Q: Still wondering about dual wield blocking. It seems VERY silly to not allow the player to block or parry while using two weapons.

A: Can only do one thing when you pull trigger: block or attack. That’s the tradeoff. You don’t get the best of all worlds

Q: Can NPCs dual wield the same way the player can? Like using a spell and sword at the same time.

A: Yes. They and and do wield sword and spell, two spells, etc.

Q: Is there any gameplay mechanic related to sleeping? I don’t need it to level up, I can use wait to pass time. So?

A: You get a bonus for being Rested, a la FO3

Q: Do you mean they regen noticeably even without sleeping or using the wait function? Are HP potions just a boost?

A: Health potions keep me from dying in battle

New info! from a Q&A

Q: Is there any form of regenerating health without any perks etc?

A: Health, magicka, and stamina all regen slowly over time.

Q: Do you mean they regen noticeably even without sleeping or using the wait function? Are HP potions just a boost?

A: Health potions keep me from dying in battle

I don't know to be either be excited or disappointed. Regen health is such a modern gimmick... People can't live if they don't put effort into healing themselves?

I don't know to be either be excited or disappointed. Regen health is such a modern gimmick... People can't live if they don't put effort into healing themselves?

I have no problem with automatic health regen outside of combat. The alternative would be to cast healing spells for a while, which is boring. This streamlines the game without removing anything.

But we'll see how it plays out.

Edited by ITOS

Health regen in combat is also useful: It stops death-by-papercut. You can't kill something too strong for you by just chipping at it slowly over time. It also prevents dungeon crawls from being a war of attrition. Even if you screw up and take a bit too much damage in a fight, you aren't punished for this by being unable to get through the rest. It doesn't make things easier so much as make them fairer. Of course it only fills these functions if it's low enough to not be significant in a battle with opponents who are evenly matched stat-wise.

Health regen in combat is also useful: It stops death-by-papercut. You can't kill something too strong for you by just chipping at it slowly over time. It also prevents dungeon crawls from being a war of attrition. Even if you screw up and take a bit too much damage in a fight, you aren't punished for this by being unable to get through the rest. It doesn't make things easier so much as make them fairer. Of course it only fills these functions if it's low enough to not be significant in a battle with opponents who are evenly matched stat-wise.

Yes but Skyrim isn't going to put you into situations like that beyond your will. I could see in Oblivion, because you always faced enemies that leveled with you. They were your equal always, thus when you were ganged up on, you often died.

I don't see it as a problem, but it does take some of the excitement and pleasure from getting through a situation on your skills, not because you had a handicap.

Edit: This is my opinion in the end. I don't want to offend anyone or make anyone feel like they are wrong for thinking the way they do. Just putting that out there.

Edited by SHIROryuu

Yes but Skyrim isn't going to put you into situations like that beyond your will. I could see in Oblivion, because you always faced enemies that leveled with you. They were your equal always, thus when you were ganged up on, you often died.

I don't see it as a problem, but it does take some of the excitement and pleasure from getting through a situation on your skills, not because you had a handicap.

A central problem of game design is teaching the players what they need to do to overcome the challenges you've placed before them. Success being determined by long-term resource management is problematic because the distance between a mistake and failure can potentially be very long. By placing a sizable distance between cause and effect, you lower the chances that the player will pick up on the relationship. This means a player can lose the game from something like choosing to drink a health potion too early three hours ago and having no idea what they did wrong. In order for the cause of failure to be clear, the consequences of a mistake need to be immediate.

Appropriate resets in the form of guaranteed regeneration goes a long way toward solving this problem by allowing game balance to be tailored around the short term of individual encounters rather than the long term of an entire dungeon (or even the entire game). What it allows you to do is make a player's resource pool smaller so a mistake results in immediate failure, without increasing the overall difficulty of the game by allowing small mistakes to accumulate. It allows you to make the individual encounters more engaging and difficult without running as much risk of causing frustration and a feeling of helplessness.

Of course, making the health regen too large relative to enemy attack power means nothing has a realistic chance of killing you. This is poor design, and it's not what I'm supporting.

Edited by Alcrin

A central problem of game design is teaching the players what they need to do to overcome the challenges you've placed before them. Success being determined by long-term resource management is problematic because the distance between a mistake and failure can potentially be very long. By placing a sizable distance between cause and effect, you lower the chances that the player will pick up on the relationship. This means a player can lose the game from something like choosing to drink a health potion too early three hours ago and having no idea what they did wrong. In order for the cause of failure to be clear, the consequences of a mistake need to be immediate.

Appropriate resets in the form of guaranteed regeneration goes a long way toward solving this problem by allowing game balance to be tailored around the short term of individual encounters rather than the long term of an entire dungeon (or even the entire game). What it allows you to do is make a player's resource pool smaller so a mistake results in immediate failure, without increasing the overall difficulty of the game by allowing small mistakes to accumulate. It allows you to make the individual encounters more engaging and difficult without running as much risk of causing frustration and a feeling of helplessness.

Of course, making the health regen too large relative to enemy attack power means nothing has a realistic chance of killing you. This is poor design, and it's not what I'm supporting.

Teaching players? The most important thing you can teach a player is how to use the tools they are given. Making mistakes is how you learn. That's why there is a save function. So long as there isn't game breaking glitches, there are any number of chances for learning experiences that will make the player feel better about having done the "impossible".

I may come to like this feature when I play the game. I still think it's a handicap. Once again an opinion.

Teaching players? The most important thing you can teach a player is how to use the tools they are given. Making mistakes is how you learn. That's why there is a save function.

Success being determined by long-term resource management is problematic because the distance between a mistake and failure can potentially be very long. By placing a sizable distance between cause and effect, you lower the chances that the player will pick up on the relationship. This means a player can lose the game from something like choosing to drink a health potion too early three hours ago and having no idea what they did wrong.

*shrug*

Besides, if you've played Oblivion the health regen was basically already there. Wait in between battles to fully heal up. All this does is make it explicit.

Edited by Alcrin

*shrug*

Besides, if you've played Oblivion the health regen was basically already there. Wait in between battles to fully heal up. All this does is make it explicit.

You still don't seem to understand the point I'm making. I'm not saying it's bad, wrong, stupid or what have you. I'm saying it's a handicap.

Yes waiting can be a crutch, of course you can't wait just anywhere, waiting won't save you in a battle. So it's a fair trade off. Just as I'm sure they will make regenerating health balanced.

In the end I may come to love the feature, it can make the gameplay more satisfying and interesting... Still a handicap.