Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TES magic system doesn't have somatic components?You're aware that the word somatic means "of the body" right?In this case it refers to use of the body, and you do have to move your arms and body to cast spells, which is why armor limits it's ability.Also, with no encouragement not to wear armor, the robes are essentially useless, utterly and completely useless, they have no gameplay purpose without an advantage for not wearing armor or wearing robes.Not to mention it would be ridiculous for wizards to be wearing leather or metal armor, especially in a traditional fantasy setting which doesn't try to stray away from the cliche "Robed Wizard".

That always came to me as more of an animation so you could more easily see that a spell is being casted for gameplay reasons: In lore, so far as I know, spellcasting is purely mental/verbal. There are books talking about uttering charms and incantations to cast spells but none detailing complex hand or body poses that need to be made.

And there is a benefit: Clothes don't provide any DR but don't reduce your speed. A worthwhile benefit? Maybe not, but it's there. I don't see any reason to arbitrarily punish spellcasting in armor except to encourage players to fit to the cliche.

Except light armor provides damage reduction AND it doesn't reduce your speed, not enough to where it's noticeable at any rate.So you really haven't given any reason as to why robes are in the game if there's no gameplay benefit for not wearing armor.Not to mention it's overpowered to allow mages wear full-body armor without limiting their spell-casting ability in some way or another, because perfect offense and great defensive ability at the same time seems pretty unbalanced, and even if your armor rating isn't as good as somone who has put perks into the heavy armor tree, there's still no reason not to wear it.It's like allowing people to stealth perfectly in heavy armor, it's unbalanced.Why have robes if there is no gameplay reason for wearing them or for not wearing armor?Why put them on the mages in the game?

What a creative name

It sounds dirty

I think that is the point look up the definition of Skyrim from urbandictionary. It was made a day after Skyrim was announced.

yh i did get my name pretty much from urban dictionary

I did notice on RPGcodex they were calling skyrim a certain clever variant involving a word for 'work'

The TES magic system doesn't have somatic components?You're aware that the word somatic means "of the body" right?In this case it refers to use of the body, and you do have to move your arms and body to cast spells, which is why armor limits it's ability.Also, with no encouragement not to wear armor, the robes are essentially useless, utterly and completely useless, they have no gameplay purpose without an advantage for not wearing armor or wearing robes.Not to mention it would be ridiculous for wizards to be wearing leather or metal armor, especially in a traditional fantasy setting which doesn't try to stray away from the cliche "Robed Wizard".

That always came to me as more of an animation so you could more easily see that a spell is being casted for gameplay reasons: In lore, so far as I know, spellcasting is purely mental/verbal. There are books talking about uttering charms and incantations to cast spells but none detailing complex hand or body poses that need to be made.

And there is a benefit: Clothes don't provide any DR but don't reduce your speed. A worthwhile benefit? Maybe not, but it's there. I don't see any reason to arbitrarily punish spellcasting in armor except to encourage players to fit to the cliche.

Except light armor provides damage reduction AND it doesn't reduce your speed, not enough to where it's noticeable at any rate.So you really haven't given any reason as to why robes are in the game if there's no gameplay benefit for not wearing armor.Not to mention it's overpowered to allow mages wear full-body armor without limiting their spell-casting ability in some way or another, because perfect offense and great defensive ability at the same time seems pretty unbalanced, and even if your armor rating isn't as good as somone who has put perks into the heavy armor tree, there's still no reason not to wear it.It's like allowing people to stealth perfectly in heavy armor, it's unbalanced.Why have robes if there is no gameplay reason for wearing them or for not wearing armor?Why put them on the mages in the game?

Armor is cool. But heck with magic you got the shield spell. You don't need armor if you are good at that.

*Smithing elaboration: Caleb, you’re getting the entire Smithing skill tree:

Steel Smithing

Create Steel armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Arcane Blacksmith

Improve magical weapons and armor.

Dwarven Smithing

Create Dwarven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Elven Smithing

Create Elven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Orcish Smithing

Create Orcish armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Advanced Armors

Create scaled and plate armor at forges. Improve by double.

Glass Smithing

Create glass armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Daedric Smithing

Create Daedric armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Ebony Smithing

Create Ebony armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Dragon Smithing

Create Dragon armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

You can collect dragon bone and other parts to make really powerful armor and weapons using this skill, it sounds amazing. Matt was pumped about it and I trust his judgment.

(so this is all the armor in the game?) =/

*Smithing elaboration: Caleb, you’re getting the entire Smithing skill tree:

Steel Smithing

Create Steel armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Arcane Blacksmith

Improve magical weapons and armor.

Dwarven Smithing

Create Dwarven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Elven Smithing

Create Elven armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Orcish Smithing

Create Orcish armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Advanced Armors

Create scaled and plate armor at forges. Improve by double.

Glass Smithing

Create glass armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Daedric Smithing

Create Daedric armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Ebony Smithing

Create Ebony armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

Dragon Smithing

Create Dragon armor and weapons at forges. Improve by double.

You can collect dragon bone and other parts to make really powerful armor and weapons using this skill, it sounds amazing. Matt was pumped about it and I trust his judgment.

(so this is all the armor in the game?) =/

We were pondering that a while back...seems like it, but we can't be sure. My working theory is that these are all the materials, but there are light and heavy versions of each.