Skyrim Information

Zaldir

Meh, that looks more like a paddle than a sword. I wish they would make bladed weapons look for realistic.

Ugh sorry fatal but that does look pretty realistic it would be a gladius wich were short like that it was great for close hand to hand combat didn't get tangled in there own shields

Watch gladiator sparticus and 300 they all use the same type of sword

Edited by crippledorphan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm go to a museum and look at what swords REALLY looked like...I prefer the fantasy idealistic versions more than the realistic visions... (directed at Fatal's comment)

Don't need to, I have several historical replicas on my walls and have used many in reennactment. They are beautiful, deadly, martial tools, where as these fantasy versions look like chrome covered paddles.

Lol I know what a gladius is, and that thing looks about 20 lbs heavier than any 3-4 lb gladius I have ever seen, and far from a correctly shaped pommel or blade.

I have several functional blades from the wars and I still prefer the fantasy versions :) Not chromed but then the image we saw wasn't chromed either.

But in truth the weapons from the 12th to the 17th century were ... not so pretty. functional yes but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder too so guess we just have different eyes ;)

Umm go to a museum and look at what swords REALLY looked like...I prefer the fantasy idealistic versions more than the realistic visions... (directed at Fatal's comment)

Don't need to, I have several historical replicas on my walls and have used many in reennactment. They are beautiful, deadly, martial tools, where as these fantasy versions look like chrome covered paddles.

Lol I know what a gladius is, and that thing looks about 20 lbs heavier than any 3-4 lb gladius I have ever seen, and far from a correctly shaped pommel or blade.

The pommel looks just fine, the blade is obviously too heavy for a normal human to use effectively in any kind of drawn out combat. You might get a swing or two before that weight just wore you out. As long as the grip had the proper feel...and was not slick it could be used briefly...now lengthen the grip area just a bit so that you could use it as a hand and a half type weapon and then you might have something. (umm its not a gladius agreed)

Lol I do agree that the pommel is not accurate but the blade is close IMO and that sword weight is 10 so yeah it's a little wider a little longer and the metal might be heavier the pommel is off but your hand will cover it :P

Im not a fan at all of the Anime trend of ridiculously giganticly oversized blades, but if you have some links to pictures of actual service weapons that qualify as beautiful please share them because the ones Ive seen are pretty ugly things. Now the Ceremonial Blades and weapons are a different story but those are ceremonial and not meant for war.

Im not a fan at all of the Anime trend of ridiculously giganticly oversized blades, but if you have some links to pictures of actual service weapons that qualify as beautiful please share them because the ones Ive seen are pretty ugly things. Now the Ceremonial Blades and weapons are a different story but those are ceremonial and not meant for war.

I don't have any links cause I'm on my iPhone but the reason why there so beautiful is due to there simplistic design designed to kill to me I love the simple look of mideval and prior to weaponry that's just my humble opinion if you think they are ugly that's fine but I love em especially the norse weaponry more so the Vikings arsenal I love there simple axe shield combo

It's crazy because the Vikings made there weapons from the iron the pulled out of the pete bog. That right there makes it beautiful the resourcefulness to pull iron out of mud basically

That resourcefulness is what made them such fierce warriors too, the harsh northern climes didn't allow for soft, pampered civilizations. I love the culture and the art, but as you said the weaponry was simplistic almost crude...but very very effective :) In the renaissance now you started to see more what I consider "Beautiful" weapons as metallurgy became more refined and artisan craftmanship became more common.

But Im not saying your wrong or anything, its just different people with different values.