Any ways to make oblivion use less cpu?

pinkfloyd760

AMD phenom II x2 560 prosessor 3.30 ghz - I really needed to buy the quad, I have NO idea why I didn't.. >.> But will this really matter?

No, it won't matter. Oblivion isn't optimized for multithreading / multicores, and the tweaks you'll find for it don't work and some make your game unstable.

In general a Phenom II 560 isn't that fast but it is adequate for good frame rates in Oblivion

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series [Display adapter]

Well, which 5700 series is it? 5770? As others have said that is really not a top of the line card, but you should be able to get decent frame rates. One thing you should probably do is go into the 3D settings in Catalyst Control Center and optimize it for Performance. It will make the visual quality slightly worse but will definitely improve your frame rate a bit when lots of objects and characters are on the screen.

For stuttering, the best fix IMO is Oblivion Stutter Remover. I use it with only the "iSchedulingResolution" setting set to 1 and all the others set to 0, it got rid of all my stuttering issues (the one I really hated was the stutter you see when you circle-strafe). I personally stay away from stuff like Streamline, IMO it tries to do too much and has caused problems in the past.

Anyway you should post a little more info: What resolution do you run at? Using AA/AF? Do you have any mods installed?

FWIW here are my graphics settings. My system is an i7 920 with a ATI 5870, so a little higher spec:

Resolution: 1920x1080

Brightness: 50%

Texture Size: Large

Tree/Actor/Item/Object/Grass/View Distance: 100 / 92 / 94 / 96 / 98 / 100

Distant land / buildings / trees : On / On / On

Int / Ext Shadows: 4 / 2

Self Shadows / Shadows on Grass / Tree Shadows / Shadow Filtering: Off / Off / On / Off

Specular Distance: 50%

HDR / Bloom: Off / Off

Water Detail / Reflections / Ripples: High / On / On

Window Reflections: On

Blood Decals: High

Antialiasing: 2X

I set the fade distances as above so that the game doesn't try to load everything at the same time while I am out in the wilderness. If you're just walking around you wouldn't notice, but if you ride a horse it will make things noticeably smoother.

I suspect if you install OSR and configure it as I suggested, use the above graphics settings but set your resolution to 1280x720, and set your Catalyst 3D settings for Performance, you'll get really great frame rates with that system.

No, it won't matter. Oblivion isn't optimized for multithreading / multicores, and the tweaks you'll find for it don't work and some make your game unstable.

I can vouch for InAComaDial999, as I have a high-powered AMD dual-core system as well. I tried the tweaks and nothing apparently happened. The setup tweaks and OSR installation InAComaDial999 mentioned will most certainly work. Of course, if you must have high resolution, then you will have to accept some stuttering.

I run with a very large HP monitor, and the video drivers are not what one would call stellar. As such, there are only a few video formats that will work with my system. I've tweaked it down as far as I can get, but I still get some stuttering when I move into new cells...especially ones with several NPCs or monsters. In fact, I can usually expect an encounter when I'm running through the forest and I get a stutter.

The larger problem IMHO is the nasty unexpected CTD which rears its ugly head when I least expect it.

First of all im sorry for my bad english. I had the same issues, but i almoust solved it. Im still getting very small shutterings sometimes but really really seldom. The problem of the Oblivion is swapping from HDD while youre getting into the new cell, this process slow down the game flow dramatically since the normal hdd is an real bottle neck on the system. To boost up the load process you need an very quick hdd..... The quickest hdds on the market for acceptable money are SSDs.

I bought me an SSD and viola the game got really flowy.