Unkillable, unstrikable, untargetable NPC

true4evr

Hello all,

I've been playing Skyrim for a while now with my fair share of mods but recently upon returning to Riverwood I came across a Whiterun guard that immediately spots me, turns aggressive, and starts attacking. I would just kill him, but for some reason I can't. I cannot be struck by anyone or anything. I went into console commands and tried to target him, but I couldn't. While targeting him I was in first person and my followers were away from him. What always happens when I try to target him is that my clicking passes straight through him and clicks whatever is behind him. I decided to go with a clean, base version of the game and this time he is no longer angry, but he still cant be struck or targeted. Its like he's in god mode; he can hit me, but I can't hit or target him. I can manage to basically ignore him, but does anyone know how to fix this? Has anyone even ever heard of this? Lurking I didn't seem to find anything.

Edited by true4evr

I've seen this occassionally with NPS's also, but it's kinda rare, though it never happens to me (player). When it does happen to another NPC I can go into console mode, click on that "actor", then type:

Disable [Press Enter]

Enable [Press Enter]

and that usually resets the data for that particular actor.

I'm guessing, just from an initial view that game data is being dynamically corrupted somehow. Either by a memory overrun from a variable compiled without boundary checks (a single block of allocated memory that holds many data elements [referenced by offsets, where a text table would return the offset into the primary data block] where a word sized data element is being stores where a byte sized element should be, a script variable being used by more than one script without knowing the full extent of how everything, including the game engine interconnects everything together creating bad data being used by something not editing or expecting it.

When using Disable then Enable doesn't work, I'm not sure. I'm thinknig along the lines of a broken linked list pointing to the data elements.

I've seen this occassionally with NPS's also, but it's kinda rare, though it never happens to me (player). When it does happen to another NPC I can go into console mode, click on that "actor", then type:

Disable [Press Enter]

Enable [Press Enter]

and that usually resets the data for that particular actor.

I'm guessing, just from an initial view that game data is being dynamically corrupted somehow. Either by a memory overrun from a variable compiled without boundary checks (a single block of allocated memory that holds many data elements [referenced by offsets, where a text table would return the offset into the primary data block] where a word sized data element is being stores where a byte sized element should be, a script variable being used by more than one script without knowing the full extent of how everything, including the game engine interconnects everything together creating bad data being used by something not editing or expecting it.

When using Disable then Enable doesn't work, I'm not sure. I'm thinknig along the lines of a broken linked list pointing to the data elements.

Yeah, well like I said he can't be targeted so that's out the window. However, I'm gonna try cleaning the save and if that doesn't get rid of him then I don't know what. Currently, with my fresh installation, he loses aggression when i load up the save after a few seconds and only attacks barbas, so my work around is i just disable and enable barbas and he goes back to normal. He also doesn't seem to attack any more, just repeatedly drawing his sword and staring at barbas, so i'm just gonna cross my fingers and if it doesn't work then oh well, corrupted fellow. He bugs, but not enough to hinder me.

update: didn't work.

Edited by true4evr

I fixed it... sort of. After some trial and error. Moving my followers, banishing barbas, tcai, and clicking randomly i was able to click on the guard in console commands. I guess when i tried this earlier i only tried commands that effect his existance, e.g. disable, resurrect, and kill, but he just seems to be bugged to be unkillable/not banishable. I tested what I was able to do, like sexchange, resetai, etc. and i was able to reset his agression so that he doesn't attack me on sight, or in his case when i come within 30 feet of him.

Basically, he is still in god mode, but he wont attack on sight anymore.

I've seen this with a horse on the path between Ivarstead and Helgan, and sometimes with NPC's that die, but keep walking in place - though it sounds like the guard in yours still has some AI connected to it. It makes me wonder if the hit-box coords are still there, just corrupted to the point were clicking on the target doesn't work but an AOE might.

There's another game cleaner, can't think of the name right off that first needs a save file created through the console and is output in text format. Might be interesting to see if anything there might really stand out as being strange (very large negative or positive numbers, stuff like that).

Since it's a guard and not a specific NPC, I would venture a guess that if the base data for that guard is corrupted, all guards generated with the same ID would suffer the same or similar problems. If it's just one guard, then, I'm still leaning towards that corrupted the main game data. Not sure how to fix that though.

In the case of the horse in one of mine, I just left it there and went off to do other things. Came back much later and he was gone. The game at least knew enough about it to clean it up later.

Which makes me wonder, if you did:

KillAll

from the console, does the guard die? I'm guessing he would. If he does, can you target him after that?

He has no hitbox. I don't ha master spells, but I tried every fire ball and AoE I have but he wasn't affected. Like I said, he was immune to the kill command after I successfully targeted him, but I have not tried killall. If he survives that then clearly he is Molag Bal in human form.

Edit: now that I think about it, iirc this guard was attacked by a werebear at a time before this most recent visit to Riversood. I had moonlight tales installed so he got infected with the werebear disease. I'm pretty sure its some sort of corruption on the save at this point, otherwise it wouldn't translate to the unmodded base game.

Edited by true4evr

• 3 years later...