No Dialogue in Awakenings?!

Ingux

So, uh, hi, me again. *timid wave*

My problem is that for some reason none of dialogue in Awakenings is appearing for me. When anyone is supposed to be talking all that happens is that I find me and my character watching a show of charades. All the sound effects work fine (incl. my warden's snarky voiced comments), as does background music, but it's just the dialogue that has seemingly upped and dissapeared. There are no subtitles telling me what they're 'supposed' to be saying and their mouths don't even move. =( I also have no choices in making responses either. I tried loading a save of an earlier playthrough and an unknown conversation with Ohren ended with a mysterious -1 approval.

Also I've noticed that my lovely companions have lost their names and are now being refered to by the game as something very similar to gh124_female_companion or go103_anders on top of their character models.

I've just imported a warden from Origins, which had been working absolutely fine despite my numerous mods, but I think something has to be conflicting with Awakenings files. Steam has told me there are no game files missing.

So, uh, this time my question is. What sort of files/mods are most likely to cause this issue? I've tried disabling everything I could in the in-game DLC menu but that has had zero effect.

So, uh, hi, me again. *timid wave*

My problem is that for some reason none of dialogue in Awakenings is appearing for me. When anyone is supposed to be talking all that happens is that I find me and my character watching a show of charades. All the sound effects work fine (incl. my warden's snarky voiced comments), as does background music, but it's just the dialogue that has seemingly upped and dissapeared. There are no subtitles telling me what they're 'supposed' to be saying and their mouths don't even move. =( I also have no choices in making responses either. I tried loading a save of an earlier playthrough and an unknown conversation with Ohren ended with a mysterious -1 approval.

Also I've noticed that my lovely companions have lost their names and are now being refered to by the game as something very similar to gh124_female_companion or go103_anders on top of their character models.

I've just imported a warden from Origins, which had been working absolutely fine despite my numerous mods, but I think something has to be conflicting with Awakenings files. Steam has told me there are no game files missing.

So, uh, this time my question is. What sort of files/mods are most likely to cause this issue? I've tried disabling everything I could in the in-game DLC menu but that has had zero effect.

iirc, this occurs when a mod overrides one or more of the talk tables used by the game (or if you yourself have been experimenting with the toolset). I can't recall the exact name of the file but I think it's something like "core-en-us.tlk" which is the core resources talk table file which stores all the game strings for object names, text etc. The single player and awakening campaigns also have their own talk tables but again I can't recall their names offhand.

Check your override directory for any core/single player.tlk files and remove them (I don't recall what the talk table for awakening is called, do a wildcard search for "*.tlk").

Edited by TerraEx

Thanks for the advice. =) I've done as you said, and deleted the '.tlk' files in my override folder (under My Documents), which came with 'Detailed Tooltips'. However that has had no effect whatsoever. Everyone is still mute and weirdly labelled as: 'int100cr_female_warden' and 'int100cr_survivor' or the like...

However interestingly after some folder exploring I've just noticed that the folder 'packages\core_ep1\audio\vo\en-us\vo' is completely empty while its other counterparts are wonderfully full. =s

I think I found my problem... =D But thank you for the help TerraEx! I'm now trying to see if I can get the files from Steam again. =)

• 3 years later...

Hi :( . I know the topic is very old, but i am having this issue now and I have not been able to find a solution yet. When I do a search in google there are just a couple pages on the topic but no solution either. Did you manage to solve the no dialogue and weird names problem? thank you!

@aessire; Basically, sounds like yours game is corrupted (missing required files.) What install do you have? If EA/Origin and Steam install, try "repair". Otherwise, re-install completely.