Having FPS issues that I shouldn't be having.

Falco2073

Hello again,

I haven't been having a good time today. I've changed nothing since going to bed last night and all of my saves (even hours old) crash before the game even finishes loading my save. With the latest ones, it crashes instantly before the load bar even starts moving. How can I even begin to troubleshoot this issue? I'm in Fort Carmala, doing one of the Baron von Zarov quests.

Does the game also crash when selecting a new game from the main menu? To make sure the problem is in the savegame and not in your mods or something like it. If it crashes on starting a new game, the problem is probably with a mod. If it does not crash when starting a new game, the problem is the savegame, but then it is also caused by mods - just by the things they do in game that somehow cause issues.

That type of issue is a bit difficult to troubleshoot. But if the game always crashes on loading an area in game (both the savegame and when starting a new game from main menu), the issue could be caused by Oblivion Stutter Remover settings. If that is the case, you could try moving the OSR dll and ini away from the Data\OBSE\Plugins directory and testing if the save and/or new game loads properly. If it works without OSR, you can try changing the heap replacement settings. Heap number 6 with a size of 1024 worked fine for me for quite some time.

But if the game always crashes on loading an area and moving OSR away from Plugins folder does not help, I currently have no idea what could be causing it. A mod, maybe? I do not use all the mods you do, so I do not know if they have any issues.

Edit: While having another look at your load order, I noticed you have RAEVWD Cities.esp loaded and you use Open Cities Reborn. Not related to this crashing thing, but you could check the readme of RAEVWD if it says anything about using that plugin with open cities. The distant meshes and textures are used already without it, and I think the plugin only exists because the vanilla closed cities do not have all the architecture in the actual city also placed within the Tamriel city walls (where no one ever visits), so that plugin just adds some architecture to Tamriel worldspace in the places where the cities are located. That is not necessary with open cities, as all the architecture is already in Tamriel worldspace and available for generating their distant/lod placement data thingy.

Edit 2: Also, you have Midas Magic installed with the Outer Districts plugin of open cities. The outer districts moves the 'outer' parts of the Imperial City to Tamriel worldspace, so the Arcane University will also be moved there. The Midas Magic shop is in the Arcane University, so it is left in the closed version and not moved to the open one. You will need the patch for Outer Districts and Midas Magic from the Open Cities Patches page here to fix it.

Edited by PhilippePetain

Removing the OSR ini and dll fixed the problem. I just restored a backup of the ini file that I took a couple of days ago and that also works fine, so I must have accidentally done something after I had finished playing.

In regards to RAEVWD Cities, I just did some research and it suggests disabling the cities ESP, which I will do now and see if that helps with anything.

Finally, in regards to Midas Magic, I do actually have the OR compatibility patch in my load order now, as I noticed that I didn't have it (and the shops weren't appearing) after making my initial post.

Unfortunately, I'm still having fairly regular crashing issues, probably every 10 or so minutes. It's mostly when transitioning screens from interior -> exterior (or vice-versa), or when fast travelling. It's often enough for it to be a nuisance and it's always in the back of my mind that it's going to happen again instead of just being able to enjoy the game.

You could try disabling all automatic save features from Oblivion.ini by making sure you have the following settings set there:

bSaveOnTravel=0

bSaveOnWait=0

bSaveOnRest=0

bSaveOnInteriorExteriorSwitch=0

And also checking the save settings of Streamline if you still use it. Some have claimed that autosaving causes issues, so the interior -> exterior crashes might be caused by the game autosaving (I have always had all autosaves disabled). But the issue might also be caused by the game loading too much resources. Especially if you use open cities. That could probably be helped with MoreHeap and OSR. Try using the OSR heap number 6 with a size of 1024, and MoreHeap with a game heap size of 1024. Maybe it could help. OSR really helps the game, but the settings must be set right or it will turn into the ultimate source of crashes. But I am not sure. I do not experience such crashes myself. But I have a different type of mod setup. This is really difficult to troubleshoot. I do hope your problem will be solved one day.

Edited by PhilippePetain

Unfortunately, using Heap Algorithm 6 makes the game crash when loading my save. Using Heap Algorithm 1 with MoreHeap seems to make the game crash more than it did without using MoreHeap.

Edited by Falco2073

too much heap is as bad as too little, best to set it at 400 and work your way up. 1000 gives me the best crash free experience on transitions but stutter improvement is at its best at around 750.

a lot depends on your graphics card. Osr works better along side the use of the 4gb patch.

I have tried all the algorithms for heap....6 is the best for me using windows 7 and a 2gb amd card.

Good news!

I set the heap algorithm to 6 with a heap size of 750 (also 750 in MoreHeap), played for a total of an hour and a half and didn't experience a single crash.

Hopefully this trend will continue. I'll be sure to come back here if there are any more issues, but I'm happy for the time being and can actually just enjoy playing the game!

Thank you very much for all of the help everyone, especially PhilippePetain!