ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Game always crashes near Westside

littleot316

The game runs smoothly on high texture anywhere on map but every time when i get near Westside, i crash ALL THE TIME.

My video card driver is up to date so idk what the problem is.

P.S. i've tried to lower texture level and resolution but it still crashes so i'm guessing it's not a problem caused by my video card

• 1 month later...

anyone come up with a fix for this?

i have now come across the same problem.

i crash anytime i get anywhere near westside or thorn area.

the funny thing is, that it seems like its a scripted crash error thats happening, because i currently have a save game within 5 meters of the affected "crash zone" (area in the game world in which, if i enter its boundaries, i will crash), and if i SPRINT fast into the westside area, i can even make it into view of the thorn sign before crashing. that is, crashing occurs momentarily after entering this bugged 'area' - not immidiately....my computer also churns a bit, hard-disk activity going, before crashing...

so it definitely seems like a script is generating the crash - not any kind of error in the gameworld itself.

is there anyway to disable all scripts located in a certain area, perhaps?

i have, also, as above posters, tried fully fresh installs of the game and used "tmm" to teleport myself to thorn/westside, or nearby and enter the area, and it still crashes.

could it be an object in the game world at that location which causes a crash due to video/sound card hardware? a special sound, visual, etc??

i am using an ATI radeon 6970 2GB...brand new card. handles the game at 1920x1080 with maxed settings at over 60 FPS so there is no problem with adequate hardware here...but im wondering...the rest of the people having this problem - ATI users? it seems nvidia users dont crash in these "crash zone" areas (like camp forlorn hope, westside, etc.)

im seriously amazed that a company like obsidian could actually get away with releasing a game like this which is so godamn buggy.

You should start a new game.

open the console an type

tmm 1

hit enter

(Tmm 1 = toggle map marker) (1=shown 0=hidden)

Fast travel to this area.

or

Fast travel to the area you used to enter it.

Try to duplicate the exact conditions of your privious issue.

Which I believe will show you that you have a corupted or partialy corupted save game.

This meaning that the game you were playing, in that area something went corupt, but not corupt enough to crash the game.

Then you saved that game, thus locking it into the save game.

Save games themself can go corupt or partially corupt.

Though this is mostly limited to being caused by

1. Using the continue button at the main loading screen

2. Quick save and Auto save being a parital save an not a full save while also not pausing the game while saving

FNV or FO3 edit Master Update will fix some things, namely crashing when you try to save a game around 7-8 hours into the game

or your general crash upon save of the game. It seems to resolve the issue will also avoiding it in the furture, to which I think is linked to

using .esp plug in's Though both master update an Bpatch or Mpatch (below) are said to resolve many issues...

Bashed patch (gary bash) an FNV or FO3 edit merge patch will resolve many issues from conflicting list type data by coalescing a large amount of lists into something the game can actually use.

Though mostly all of these issues don't cause major issues with the game, rather missing content here an there an misbehavior glitching.

Then the people that actually need a Bpatch or Mpatch, are the people using a lot of mods or just a few large mods.

Which in both of those cases the player has much larger problems than not using a Bpatch or Mpatch.

im seriously amazed that a company like obsidian could actually get away with releasing a game like this which is so godamn buggy.

They did a good job. The patches make Fallout 3 an Fallout New Vegas run perfect. It's all the other stuff on the computer that messes it up.

You should start a new game.

open the console an type

tmm 1

hit enter

(Tmm 1 = toggle map marker) (1=shown 0=hidden)

Fast travel to this area.

or

Fast travel to the area you used to enter it.

thanks for the tip, already did that though, said so in my post i believe...still crashes but not til i am much closer to the thorn marker...

have also tried it on a clean new install.

so basically, on a fresh install of FNV on my brand new machine running optimally, that area of the game world causes some kind of error which does not allow me to access it.

there are many people reporting the same issues.

im glad that my problem is only concerning one small area of the map though, so far afaik, i can access the rest of the gameworld just fine. i sympathize for people unable to access the strip! or even goodsprings!!

Try to duplicate the exact conditions of your privious issue.

Which I believe will show you that you have a corupted or partialy corupted save game.

This meaning that the game you were playing, in that area something went corupt, but not corupt enough to crash the game.

Then you saved that game, thus locking it into the save game.

Save games themself can go corupt or partially corupt.

Though this is mostly limited to being caused by

1. Using the continue button at the main loading screen

2. Quick save and Auto save being a parital save an not a full save while also not pausing the game while saving

that is my exact complaint here.

if using the games functions as they are inteded...result in your game getting corrupted....thats pretty retarded isnt it?

if using continue in the game menu (which i never use anyway) or relying heavily on auto and quick save (which i dont either, i use CASM to make hard-saves every 3 minutes while playing) causes your game to get corrupted, then why the hell did the put those functions in the game? basically, as you are saying, 'dont use the games main features because then your game will get corrupted, but its not the games fault it would be yours for using the game in the way it was built'....which is, quite obviously, totally retarded.

thanks for the helpful tips, but i really really dont like when people are so blind and stupid (not implying that you are, at all, sir) that they back-up a game no matter what its flaws and make such flawed, irrational, and rediculous arguments as that.

They did a good job. The patches make Fallout 3 an Fallout New Vegas run perfect. It's all the other stuff on the computer that messes it up.

are you serious?

not a single review of the game, on psr to xbox to pc, has had anything but - this game is buggy as hell - as a conclusion. the simple fact that the franchise is popular and that they used the gambryo engine which allows for a very entertaining open-world experience doesnt at all retract from the fact that they totally failed in their development of it, PATCHES included!

yes, this game is great - when its playable. even in vanilla unmodded, fully patched form it is however buggy as hell - which is why reviewers and gamers alike are on the fence about whether to give this game a 'buy it' or 'dont buy it' type of rating.

those that are able to play many hours without glitches or crashing are the very, very, few. not to mention that - in vanilla, this game isnt really the best. its the mods that make it the best. so without mods, its not one of the top 5 games out there anyway. i think very few people, if any, would play the game vanilla if it was indeed crash and bug-free, rather than play with mods if they indeed were the culprit of all the problems (which, as stated, they are not).

indeed, that is what you are claiming - that vanilla is bug-free and crash-free. why then do the vast majority of people still use mods and put up with such rediculous problems? even game-ending, game-breaking problems? the sad fact is, there are a huge amount of gamers who simply give up on this game, and i dont blame them at all. i might even join them soon. all because the game is flawed so badly that it actually can create occurances where the player can no longer continue the game, because of save corruption and the like...

westside is not an essential area for the main plotline at least. ive heard many people who have 'crash zones' in the strip. meaning they cannot access the strip, at all, because it crashes immidiately. that means they cant even continue the storyline very far. and what reply do we get from the developers about these problems?

nothing.

its silent.

and the patches have not fixed these issues.

but the game is still up for sale at top price.

and now we have new expansions to buy too, which cause even more bugs.

its a farce to pay for such a thing.

try this, seemed to work in FO3:

go to another location, save, then go back to thorn/west side and see if it still crashes

hehe, i dont think you read either of my posts or the previous answer'ers post at all....

but thanks, and i dont blame you.

wall of text...

to anyone who replies in the future, i am honestly eager to find someone with an answer that actually FIXES these problems....though pessimistic if such solutions even exist.

as in mod fixes, game fixes, etc.

I've got a similar problem, except that it's every time an NPC pulls out their weapon, the game crashes, it's really annoying.

We might have to wait until someone does something like the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch, although there is the Community Bugfix Compilation patch, that's still being updated as we speak.