Can't open inventory, map, or favorites

persephone325

So I started a new game with a vanilla race today. I mined some ore and then couldn't open any of my menus afterwards, except for the pause one. (The one you can open with the "escape" key.)

I have no idea what's happening and I've never run into this problem before. My keyboard is working fine. I just don't know why I suddenly can't open my inventory, map, or switch viewpoints.

I do have a lot of mods installed, but I seriously doubt any of them are to blame. I did install some new mods AFTER this problem because I exited the game and thought restarting it might work. But, to no avail.

Anyone know what's going on?

Be mindful of your game as it progresses for actions that don't seem to complete, it might be a problem again for you. I've seen this kind of behaviour when there's a lot of script lag or papyrus settings are wrong, I've done it myself. You can see quests not complete, being locked into an action as you mentioned, and more.

Have you edited your Skyrim.ini and in particular the papyrus section? If so please post it up, if not then it may just be an anomaly of the game. Sometimes the engine just does some weird things... ever see a giant launch a horker into the sky? Funny as heck but totally an anomaly.

• 4 years later...

That's weird. For some reason, I guess the game was still reading my character as being in a crafting/construction menu.

Everything seems to be working now. But if anyone knows how I can fix that problem in the future, I'd really appreciate it.

How did you manage to fix this? I've got a similar issue I think. In my control settings the Character Menu doesn't appear so I can't keybind Tab to it at all.