Mini-Radio Station Mods

Greymane

[???] Broadcasting at 550 kilocycles, this is Lone Wolf Radio. If anyone is out there getting this transmission, wouldn't mind hearing from you. Thought I saw someone walking down the highway last night. At least I know I saw a light. Maybe it was a firefly (Nervous, somewhat frantic laughter). But no, really, if that was someone I saw and you can hear me? Please let me know. Come on up, even. I've got all kinds of supplies. I've got clean water. I've... (A long pause, then a shaky sigh) I've just really missed the sound of someone else's voice. I... okay, I'm going to switch over to the automated system for a little while. Play some music. If you don't like the song, well, I'm open for requests... (Distant frantic chuckle. Cue Music)

So, the idea here is to make the Mojave airways a little more active and interesting to listen to. None of the stations would necessarily be full broadcast stations with news and updates on the various goings on in the Wasteland and most of them would have a very limited broadcast distance.

Lone Wolf Radio

Broadcast Distance: Primm Area. Audible with static at Goodsprings Source and Mojave Outpost, cuts out completely around Nipton and Goodsprings.

Broadcast Content: A handful of pre-recorded messages from an unnamed broadcaster, 'Lone Wolf,' from days just after the Great War and a few country-western tunes mixed in. The station is on a loop and will replay the same messages and songs in the same order over and over. Lone Wolf's initial broadcasts begin as lucid attempts to contact others, but grow increasingly more frantic and finally despondent. His "final" broadcast indicates plans to commit suicide and players can now find a skeleton at the broadcast trailer with a poor quality 9mm pistol near by or (with Wild Wasteland) a pool cue through it's head. This station can be switched off from the ham radio located in the trailer.

Number Station Enigma

Broadcast Distance: Hidden Valley

Broadcast Content: A loop of various real-world Number Stations. Very infrequently, it is possible to hear broadcasts from a digitized voice similar to a Protectron which identifies itself only as Agent White and reads several lines mismatched poetry. Agent White and Number Station Enigma are unrelated to the Brotherhood of Steel and can actually be found by accessing a hidden and locked door in one of the bunkers. Agent White will turn out to be a ghoul-ized Unamerican Activities Force (UAF) agent still attempting to broadcast to field agents decades dead. Agent White's mind is barely functional and he is utterly paranoid about 'The Red Menace' getting to him. One wrong word from the player can turn him hostile, though he is not particularly hard to kill. Killing Agent White will not end the broadcasts, but they can be switched off from a ham radio in his chamber. Alternatively, if the player plays along with his delusions and lets him know how limited his broadcast range is, Agent White may offer a mission to expand the stations range through relay towers scattered around the Mojave Wasteland. Completing this mission allows you to listen to Number Station Enigma anywhere in the Wasteland and nets you a large pile of pre-War Money, a pre-War Hat, sunglasses, a suit of pre-War Businesswear, a silenced 10mm pistol and some ammo, and the 'U-Man/Woman' perk, which provides a small bonus to Speech, Stealth, and Lockpicking.

Classic Gas

Broadcast Distance: Northern New Vegas, centered around the Poseidon Gas Station. Static tends to be strong unless you're virtually on top of the station.

Broadcast Content: Classical orchestral music. The station can be seen physically sitting on the roof of the building, though not accessed (a downed ramp near by shows how it was set up in the first place). It consists of various pieces of radio equipment attached to fusion batteries, a table with a ham radio, and a few rusting metal shelves with assorted junk, food, and electronic parts. A skeleton sits at a chair in front of the table. If a player can somehow make it up there, the station can be turned off via the ham radio in front of the skeleton.

Sputnik 97

Broadcast Distance: Mojave Wasteland, but only at night.

Broadcast Content: Cold War era Soviet propaganda and patriotic music. A possibility related to this station is, if your Science skill is REALLY high (70+) at the end of 'Come Fly With Me' you could alter the trajectory on one of the Bright Followers rockets to actually shoot the satellite out of the sky. You could then later track down the crashed satellite and salvage scrap metal, a few laser weapons, and a mini-nuke from it. With the Wild Wasteland trait, you may also find the body of a dead dog with a Space Suit Helmet placed over it's head.

Vault 19 PA System

Broadcast Distance: The interior of Vault 19 and a small distance around the area, though extremely static filled unless inside the Vault.

Broadcast Content: Vault propaganda and "soothing" muzak. Similar, if not lifted completely from the Vault 101 PA system in the beginning of Fallout 3. Additionally, there should be some minor feedback barely audible behind the regular broadcasts that sound like sinister whispering voices. There is no way to turn this station off.

King's Crown Radio

Broadcast Distance: New Vegas, centered on Freeside and fading quickly the further away you get.

Broadcast Content: Recordings of Elvis impersonators of varying quality, both singing and speaking. The station can be found in a previously unoccupied room on the third floor that becomes stuffed with radio equipment. There is also now a small broadcast tower on top of the King's School of Impersonation, though this is difficult to see. All box radios in the School are changed to play this station. There is no way to turn this station off.

Radio Free Mojave

Broadcast Distance: Any NCR occupied area, with increasing static the further away you go.

Broadcast Content: Generic patriotic American music, news on happenings in the NCR back west, and pro-NCR/anti-Legion propaganda promos from assorted NCR celebrities. Fade 'Hot Cat' Caliburn is the the radio's host, a popular shock jock style broadcaster back west who is "serving her country" to avoid being brought up on numerous violations of decency laws. Extremely bitter but on a tight leash, she audibly chafes and grinds her teeth at every content-controlled report she's forced to give. She can be found at Camp McCarran, her station set up within one of the tents on the tarmac and an armed Propaganda Officer standing near by. Most, though not all, radios in NCR bases are changed to broadcast Radio Free Mojave.