Mesh needs to reassign bip nodes from legs to shoulders

I constructed the coat below using parts from a dress, for both the coat portion and the shoulder portion. However, they are still attached to the leg/thigh/knee bip nodes, and I don't know how to reassign them to the shoulder/upperarm/spine/etc where they should be. How do I do this?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj27/kungfubellydancer/22224.png

Hi!

If u go int o button window editing panel link and material tab u can find where it is listing the vertex groups the object is assigned to.

When you delete all of them it will no longer have any skinning data! (maybe this came out wrong, this is what you want, a clean slate.)

Ok and then you can use bone weight copy script to get the vertex groups and have it rereigged basically.

Then tho u gotta test it out and make sure its deforming ok.

selecting the object u can go into weight painting mode and tweak the weights . U problay want to look at tutorial for details on that process.

Aslo.. if bone weight copy script is giving you too bad of a result You can make a high poly mesh with simple shape, just sub it lots u know.. then u copy from body to this shape and then to the object.

It can change the outcome of bone weight copy script.

Edited by baduk

I don't really understand what any of this means....I found the bone weight copy scripts, but when I used it, it removed all the vertex groups and corresponding weights I had manually applied to the mesh. Before I tried that script, I had typed in all the bones and painted the weights, then exported the mesh but it was doing a weird thing where it made all the bones into their own ninode, making it incompatible with the game. After I deleted that ninode branch and copy+pasted all the bones back onto Scene Root, the mesh was still unplayable. I tried another thing where I just copy+pasted the cloak pieces onto another mesh of the tuxedo by itself, and seemed okay, but when I put it in GECK, only the tuxedo appeared while the cloak remained invisible/missing.

Hi!

Here is an instruction just focusing on using the bone weight copy script.

I dont know what script you used but when i used bone weight copy it just gives an error if both objects are already rigged.

so. the one objct that you need to get rigged properly, u have to remove all the skinning data from, just delete each vertex group.

And then what you do is in object mode select first the clothing object u want to rig, hold shift and select the object u want to copy weights from ( often it will be the body mesh that the outfit is for.)

Then you go to object > scripts > bone weight copy. A little dialog comes up where you ca specify quality, and set that to 3 ( i guess 4 is better but it crashes on my system. i guess u ned powerful system for that.) there is other button called no x crossing, only need to select that if your doing pants or something like that rigged to leg bones with separate parts that you dont want bone heat crossing over on.

This will assign vertex groups and approximate bone influence for each vertex on your clothing object so it will move (deform) properly along with the body and other clothing stuff during animation.

It also will assign the dismemberment vertex groups.

Ok so. We can worry about tweaking the weights later, just get this working first!

Alright, I'm doing this right now, it's just my Blender is taking a while to run the script. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It didn't work before, because apparently I had somehow deleted all the vertex groups of both the tuxedo and the cloak/cowl, probably after exporting and trying to fix the ninodes in Nifskope and then re-importing to Blender.

Thanks, it's working! I just need to fix some textures now. But it animates pretty well, except that there is a little odd bending near the elbows, but I think I can tweak it.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/39336-4-1295591321.jpg