noob + FOMM = Trouble

x56erx

Hey, I decided to re-install FO3 and all the DLC some days ago, and a buddy from work told me about this side, so first: All the mods and that stuff is pretty awesome!

I decided to use the FOMM to get things done easy. I installed it and downloaded some mods, went to Package manager, clicked on add FOMod. All files were .zips and I dowloaded them all from http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11200 .

The MM then created a file like the .zip file in the FO3/mods folder. Know I clicked on "activete", but all I get on each file is:

Error:

A Problem occured during install:

File doens't exist in Fomod (example Mod.esm)

The mod was not installed.

What did I do wrong? How can I get things running?

Hi!

First of all read the readme for the mod!

I dont use the create fomod from archive option cause U are not sure of the folder structure inside.

If u extract the zip or rar file to a neutral location first and look inside then u can see the structure.

Look for the folder directly containing any esp or esm or bsa file, or directly containing textures or meshes folder.

Think of this one as the fomod container folder, and u can rename it from "data" or "whateveritscalled" to something that includes mod name and u recognize it.

Then open up fomm and choose create from folder in package manager. This time the files will be inside your fomod where they are supposed to be!

Sometimes mods have various options included with the main download. They may or may not include a fomod conversion data with menus and stuff to chose options on fomod activation.

You will recognize these mods if you read the readme file for them.

okay, I've looked inside the .zips, but there is only a metadata.xml, a folder named like the mod with a fomod folder inside. This fomod folder does only have an info.xml and a moduleconfig.xml inside. guess I have to download all these mods manually first right?

Hi!

I never looked at your link at all. It turns out to be not a regular mod, just a fomod conversion system.

I never used something like that, and the only scripts i ever messed around with are geck ones.

Yes you need to download actual mods, go ahead and decide what mods you want instead of getting them only from that list though.

My guess is the generic fomod conversion script just tells fomm which folder is the root folder, and maybe discards unnecessary files.

if there are optional files or a peculiar folder structure it would need a customized script that may include menus to choose options during fomod activation.

All of this can be done manually and packed into a simplistic fomod for use with fomm, and thats what i have always done.

tbh, im not a huge fan of fomod only releases either cause when i need to use the contents of a fomod for modding resources or references I must use fomm to edit and browse to the temp directory to get the files.

Because unless they are using a bsa file my data folders are so full of stuff i cant find anything!