fallout like songs research

reyzark

so, with the new fallout 4 anounced i feel the need to look for 30's-50's songs again, so any sugestion of songs that could ou should be on the new fallout?

here is my frist contribution

Edited by reyzark

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is near and dear to me as the music was what initially caught my attention when I popped in that disk to my PC back in college in the 90s and heard that signature guitar riff of the Ink Spots.

I grew up in an area that culturally was 20-30 years behind the rest of the country, and my grandfather had an expansive collection of records from his youth (which I have inherited) that featured pretty much every post-war era popular jazz artist.

I could go into detail about this, but I have long suspected that because we see a dearth of post-WW2 jazz but pre-Rock N Roll era music, that one of the key points of divergence in Fallout alt-history is that the American counter-culture never really took off. We see pretty much no evidence of it having any sort of lasting impact on the Fallout world.

With this in mind, I would recommend a whole slew of artists: Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, Billy Eckstein, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Miller, Count Basie, Billy Holliday, Kay Kyser, Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, Cab Calloway, the Andrews Sisters, Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day, Louis Armstrong, Dick Haymes, Perez Prado, Louis Prima, and of course the inimitable Francis Albert Sinatra.

One thing to be aware of, if you want to go more authentic Fallout 3 (and probably 4) I would listen exclusively to those artists' recordings from about 1938-1953. If you want the more swingin' sounds of New Vegas, I would listen to the more recent recordings of the same "Great American Songbook" songs from the later 50s and 60s. A great example of style differentiation is to listen to a Sinatra recording from either his days with Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, or his solo career under the Columbia label and compare it to his later work under Capitol. You will hear a distinct difference.

Another good thing to do, if you have Sirius XM, is to listen to the 40s Junction station in the Jazz Standards section. They have pretty much every song of the era you can think of.

Anyways, hope that helps!