Thinking of upgrading CPU

I recently installed Club3D radeon HD4670 and now my step dad told me that the processor in this computer may be bottlenecking it. I currently have an Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz processor, and I was thinking of getting a Core 2 Duo E8400. The problem I'm having is that I don't know if my motherboard supports it. The motherboard I have is Dell 0G9322. I have spent last few hours looking for the answer but found nothing.

You should download CPU-Z and run it.

The two things I need to know are the name and the package.

If the package is socket 478 you can not install an E8400.

Socket 775 LGA does support The E8400 but dell often prevents you from installing new processors.

Your current CPU FSB is 800 MHZ and you wish to upgrade to E8400 (with 1333 MHZ). I dont think i955 support with that CPU FSB..your motherboard support all Core2 with 775 socket.but not FSB..you can use it but will bottleneck with that mobo..you can upgrade to 1st gen Core2duo like E6300,E6550, E6700 instead.or even quad Q6600 (if your mobo support for FSB 1066).

E8400 need at least G31 intel chipset or nVIDIA nForce 7050 which was supporting FSB 1333.

Thanks. Now, how do I find out if my mobo supports FSB 1066?

I just found a couple of years old topic where someone had the same mobo as I, and wanted to change his processor to a Core 2 Duo (2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz). The answer for him was that maniboard, voltage regulators or BIOS may not support it.

Is this the case for me too? Just checked and my BIOS date is 5\24\2005.

Hi,

i don't think your board will support any of the Core processors. The i955x is only supporting Pentium 4 and Pentium D, maybe there is a new Bios for your board for Core processors. If you can't find any file on the Dell website i would suggest to contact the support with an e-mail about this.

Paxan

I did find a BIOS update and it says that it adds support for newer processors. That is the only possible update and is dated to February 2006.

When is says newer, how new processors can we talk about?

Well, in know from Asus Bios updates there is a readme with the supported CPUs, maybe there is one too? February 2006 is very early for a Bios which supports Core cpus. Like i have written, the best would be if you ask the Dell support.

Btw, if you want to spent 200$, why not buying a "new" mainboard? If you have a look at ebay you can find p35 chipset mainboards for around 40$.

The "best" Pentium D was the the 950 with 2x3,4GHz but to be honest i have now clue if they are still sold...., maybe have a look at Ebay too for one.