Benny's Elevator - Vault 21

METAo0oLURGIST

Ok, been foolin around with the FNV GECK, i'm new to the GECK so before I'm done I'm probably going to have more questions than a 6 year old....

I couldn't help but console 'unlock' Benny's elevator on the Tops 13th floor- had to see what was down there.

It's a non-concrete filled back utility space in Vault 21, thats been blasted into from the Tops basement. HUGE, all hallways and empty. I want to turn it into a superfly hideout but I can't even find the damn thing in the G.E.C.K.! Now, in game, the area is called Vault 21, and using TCL console command, it IS where it is claimed to be, right next to the accessible part of Vault 21. You can tcl air-walk over to it and everything. No sky color change, same floating-world space, just like the pip-boy map shows.

But when you pull up Vault 21 in the GECK it's nowhere to be found.

Also tried to find it by pulling up the tops 13th floor and seeing where the elevator is targeted to- and it seems much of the cells in the FNV GECK are missing or invisible on my machine. When I pulled up the tops 13th floor, only a short hallway and two chairmen actors were visible.

Maybe I'm already in WAY too deep to be helped, but can anyone lend a hand????

will post back my finds.

You should be able to see it if its targeted in the GECK. So im not sure what the problem is.

see, 'targeted'? i'm so new to the GECK. I've always been a very fast learner, jump in and play with all the shiny buttons, you know? But I'm only to snapping room and hall pieces in teh GECK yet.

I know benny's elevator is labeled as such in the object pane for the tops 13th floor.... but the 13th floor and vault 21 have whole sections missing or something in the geck, probably all of them do, something i haven't learned yet i guess. just snagged the FNV geck like an hour ago, thought it was exactly the same as FO3 geck, i guess only partially.

Let me know if you can find it.

I'm pulling from FNV directly as master file, like you should, but for example yes man is hovering over nothing at all(it appears) and hallways I KNOW I walked down in-game in vault 21 aren't connected in the geck to the main vault floor, as if there is a magic teleport seam between kit pieces so they can arrange it however they want in the geck.... idk but there is a lot missing in the geck for me, when i select objects in the object pane, the render window moves to what looks like empty space, no 3 plane tool marks or anything showing anything there. is the texture not loading for me?

Edited by METAo0oLURGIST

hit f5 in the render window or press "a" see if that changes the render. ive seen other interiors with "hovering" npcs and they are usually used to drop in when needed, for instance there is a buuilding interior that goes from "normal" to wrecked" the wrecked one has a body in it, this body is hovering as an npc above the whole interior, not sure about the missing walkways though.

actually - http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1148040-how-to-fix-lighting-havok-and-rendering-issues/ ;)

Edited by mjskull

- Turns out the NV GECK was unable to fully render all contents. Something stemming from the GECKCustom config file and the value of 'busemultibounds.'

The value in question reports "1" in unaltered form. Altering this value to a "0" has resulted in the levels I open in the GECK to now be fully rendered.

Lengths of hallway of the street-accessible Vault 21 are now situated properly, connected and aligned. Missing kit pieces and content are restored, and Benny's back hallway are present in full.

A bizarre quirk of the config file GECKCustom was revealed: the altered value refused to be saved. When the file was saved as altered, (GECK not running) then reopened and examined, the value would still be altered, as saved - yet opening the Geck.exe and starting the program would cause the value to revert to unaltered form, and the GECK continued to fail to render. An example of GECKCustom config file remaining open would not show this change in the notepad window, but closing it and reopening it after the Geck was started showed it was, indeed reverted. Only after repeated saves, moving the config file around, and opening geck.exe as an administrator was the value able to 'stick.' Not sure which of these actions allowed that to happen.

I am completely ignorant of this parameter "MultiBounds" so if anyone knows why altering this value is harmful, let me know; however altering it from 1 to 0 seems to have 'fixed' my geck into fully rendering EditorID areas.

Credit to Mcclaud Eagle for helping me, please check out his 3rd person perspective camera follow distance mod, http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35396

that alters the NV distance closer to where it was at default in Fo3.

Edited by METAo0oLURGIST

hit f5 in the render window or press "a" see if that changes the render. ive seen other interiors with "hovering" npcs and they are usually used to drop in when needed, for instance there is a buuilding interior that goes from "normal" to wrecked" the wrecked one has a body in it, this body is hovering as an npc above the whole interior, not sure about the missing walkways though.

actually - http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1148040-how-to-fix-lighting-havok-and-rendering-issues/ ;)

Do not know if this would fix it, only saw your reply post-multibounds fix. (see above)

Post-multibounds this method seemed to cause the GECK to re-render everything, no change noticed but likely this might fix my initial issue. If I get around to testing that, I'll update.