Playing Oblivion, After Skyrim, Plus Mods

ArchMageMatt

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will you download mods and play Oblivion after Skyrim?

I have the same problem as you mate, as I too am developing a mod. Even though I had intended it to be released before Skyrim, the team fell apart so I kind of abandoned any form of release date.

I think we were thinking the same thing - what if Skyrim comes out and all the work we put in was for nothing?

Due to some of the posts I have seen, it seems like many people will return to Oblivion. I get the feeling that in the near many mods will be developed to fix the problems with Skyrim, such UOP equivalents or many gameplay overhauls that combine to fix Skyrim completely.

It all depends on Skyrim's modding capability. Think of the relatively poor amount of syntax available in Oblivion without OBSE - if Skyrim comes even close to the capabilities of OBSE then I'm sure that over time it will surpass Oblivion in almost every way. Hopefully by that point we will have both released our mods. ;)

It all depends on the type of mod:

graphical enhancement? I guess you could get the " I heard about Oblivion from Skyrim, but these graphix suxz!" people

Armor/weapon: Might get people who still play, but won't get anyone to come back, and if they do it will only be to tell you to make a Skyrim version.

Gameplay mods? Maybe if it's something that Skyrim's creation kit doesn't allow you to do.

Quest/faction mods? If it's story/lore doesn't add anything by being in Oblivion or only fit in Oblivion, then some might say it should have just been made for Skyrim. Also if it's some generic dungeon crawl, or fetch quest you likely won't get anybody to come back... Also the "cinematic" type quest mods (like Lost Spires, Heart of the Dead, Blade Song, Return Of Shadows, etc.... *ugh*) would likely suffer the same fate as armor/weapon mods.

Just about everything else fits into the whole: "you should have made this for Skyrim instead!" category.