Oblivion won't start up

NinjaGoddessAyra

Okay I had to uninstall Oblivion, and I can't seem to reinstall it. I'll put the disc in and it'll read it just fine, but when I click to install program, nothing happens. If I go into the folders of the program and click setup, it'll install Oblivion just fine, but when I click start game, it'll say "The Oblivion Launcher could not find the Oblivion game executable. Please reinstall Oblivion." Not only that, whenever I go ahead and try to uninstall the program, it'll say "The Oblivion launcher could not find the uninstall program." So at this point I really don't know what to do >.<

If it helps, I'm using a Dell laptop with windows 7.

p.s. It's doing the exact same thing whenever I try to reinstall Morrowind.

Okay I had to uninstall Oblivion, and I can't seem to reinstall it. I'll put the disc in and it'll read it just fine, but when I click to install program, nothing happens. If I go into the folders of the program and click setup, it'll install Oblivion just fine, but when I click start game, it'll say "The Oblivion Launcher could not find the Oblivion game executable. Please reinstall Oblivion." Not only that, whenever I go ahead and try to uninstall the program, it'll say "The Oblivion launcher could not find the uninstall program." So at this point I really don't know what to do >.<

Did your computer ever run Oblivion? Many laptops don't have adequate video hardware for Oblivion.

If you don't know what you have you can run a Dxdiag report from the start menu. This will tell you some details about your hardware. Especially Processor type and speed and the Graphics processor used. Get this info and post back here, in your thread.

Oblivion will leave behind entries in the Windows registry when it is removed. It's worse if you just erase the folders without uninstalling. These entries will cause problems on reinstalling. Not sure, but Morrowind is probably the same. The oblivion reinstall is covered in my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure. The same thing may work for Morrowind.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Did your computer ever run Oblivion? Many laptops don't have adequate video hardware for Oblivion.

If you don't know what you have you can run a Dxdiag report from the start menu. This will tell you some details about your hardware. Especially Processor type and speed and the Graphics processor used. Get this info and post back here, in your thread.

Yeah I've run Oblivion and Morrowind on my laptop just fine with no issues for the past month now. I bought my laptop specifically for Oblivion. It ran fine with all the mods I chose to use for it.

As far as hardware goes, my processor is an Intell Core i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intell Smart Cache LGA1366, I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card and 12GB DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module for RAM.

I can't get much more specific than that lol. Anyways, I've been playing both Morrowind and Oblivion on it just fine so I don't think hardware is the issue, since this wouldn't be the first time I've tried reinstalling it. The only hardware issue I can think of is I heard Oblivion works better on a single core processor, and mine is a quadcore, but again, its worked fine for the last month now so I know thats not it.

Thanks bben, I'm gonna try using the link you gave, and I'll let you know how I do following the instructions for it.

errr i have a problem when i start oblivion a few min later ,i'm thrown out of the game and there is this msg appears before me " oblivion has stopped working properly , windows will now close the program " and when ever this msg appears my system hangs i even tried the compatible mode and even reinstalled it but nothing has been change :( pls help me

i use windows 7 ultimate in my (DELL vostro 1015) laptop,

thanx

Where are you installing Oblivion too? Is it C:\Oblivion or are you using the default location in the program files? Because if you're using the default location on Vista or 7 then the game generally won't work. If you haven't already, try installing the game to C:\Oblivion and see if that helps.

@Misakichun. If you start your own topic you will get more help. This is NinjagoddessAyra's thread for her problem. Mixing your problem in will just confuse things - it's called thread hijacking and is against the forum rules.

There is no extra charge for starting a thread and all it takes is clicking on the 'start new topic' button. Please give it a better title than somthing like 'Help" as it's not very descriptive and we see that too much.

Well back to my problem at hand, I think I solved it, though in a pretty unorthodox way, but atleast my games work.

I did all the steps in bben's guide and cleaned out the registry, defragged my laptop, and reinstalled it, and it still gave me the same error. But I noticed within the Oblivion folder that it has the Oblivion Launcher and the Oblivion executable (obviously). If I click on the launcher, it gives me the error that I described earlier. But on the other hand, if I click on the executable, it launches the game right there, without bringing up the date files or uninstall screen. I then installed OBSE and tested to see if when installed, it would launch the game the way its supposed to, and it did. So I made a shortcut of the Oblivion Launcher and put it on my desktop and did the same thing for OBSE. Now if I bring up the launcher on my desktop, it won't start when I click the start button because it gives me the same error, but I can still check and uncheck the data files using it. Then if I want to launch the game, I just click the OBSE launcher and it works.

So yeah, a little unorthodox, but it works nonetheless. So far there have been no issues, but I'll post again if there are any more issues.

thanx NinjaGoddessAyra _san and sorry i didn't know it's your page , and bben46_san thanx for informing me :) about this