Fallout 4: what we can expect and new features

Fatalmasterpiece

Fallout 4 has been revealed to have a ton of new features coming our way. Here are some changes to expect from the previous installment since Fall Out 3 & New Vegas.

I'll be referencing this presentation by Todd Howard at the 2015 E3 expo presentation of the game. Please feel free to point out anything I missed or got wrong.

The Player Character:

-Pipboy: Redesigned with more features, animated menus and even minigames

-Pipboy app: Mobile app for interacting with your Pipboy from your phone.

-Skills: Skills do not appear on the Pipboy menu and are not yet referred to so their implementation is as of yet unknown. SPECIAL, Perks and Experience points remain similar.

-3D rendered Inventory: Items show up with green 3d rendered images in the Pipboy inventory menu. Detailed item stats are also listed such as "fire rate", "range", "accuracy" etc.

-VATS can now "slow down time" (bullet time?)

-Your hud changes when wearing power armor.

-Sprinting is implemented and depends on your Endurance stat.

-The player character is now voiced and appears in third person during some interactions

Items and crafting:

-Layered/customizable clothing: At least some armor and clothing is customizable with an ingame crafting system and is also layerable via slots.

-Clothing slots: The players body now has various slots for armor pieces including Chest, Left Leg, Right Leg, Left Arm, Right Arm, an under suit and even ring slots with possibly more available.

-Armor has physical damage resistance, energy resistance and some have radiation resistance.

-Craftable items include things like armor, weapon and mods which have various alternative recipes. Since recipes can be fulfilled in various different ways *all* junk items now have a purpose 27:15

-Over 50 base weapons and over 700 modifications for both guns and melee weapons. Modifications also alter the stats of a weapon in addition to functionality. 27:45

-Armor mods for power armor including paint jobs and mix/matching slots. 29:06

-Animation for equipping power armor depicts it opening like an exo-frame.

-Jump jets for some power armor enable limited flight or controlled falling.

Non-Player Characters (NPCs):

-Adaptive voice acting: At least one NPC, Cogsworth the robot is scripted to speak up to 1000 variations of the chosen player's name.

-New third person dialogue interaction with multiple choice reminiscent of Mass Effect

-Detailed, interactive attack animations such as a Deathclaw lifting the player off the ground for an attack.

-Extra terrestrials: Several concept art depict space "aliens" in a very retro theme, suggesting some extra terrestrial action.
The World:
-Build your own structures ranging from houses to shops, lights, terminals and defense sentries 24:11
-Structures appear to require raw materials as well as social Perks to be built 24:16
-Nearby items can be picked up and scrapped to make raw materials
-Structures will attract NPCs and vendors which will have new items available 25:15
-These NPCs can form a community which requires food, water and power as well as defense from raider attacks.
-Certain locations will allow large settlements which can even be linked by Brahman caravans. 26:30

My main concerns are the lack of skills and the new dialogue system that seem to drastically limit yo ur options. epsecially for the creation of larger quest mods. it may be made impossible ot add more than fo ur dialogue choices which can be even more of a problem to those charactars who aleready have all four mapped already.

My main concerns are the lack of skills and the new dialogue system that seem to drastically limit yo ur options. epsecially for the creation of larger quest mods. it may be made impossible ot add more than fo ur dialogue choices which can be even more of a problem to those charactars who aleready have all four mapped already.

Sub menus, that is a simple solution.

Bethesda is just now catching up with the modern age of dialogue where Mass Effect was years and years ago.

I doubt skills are gone, they probably just weren't 100% completed for the demo. Though I never found them to add much to the game anyways, I could live with them or without them.

skill based dialogue is a must for Fallout. just do3esn't feel right without it and subme nues can only accomplish so much unfortuantley. this also means it's harder for multiple mods to add dialogue ot an NPC.

I doubt skills are gone, they probably just weren't 100% completed for the demo. Though I never found them to add much to the game anyways, I could live with them or without them.

Three things:

1. Skils are a crucial component of the SPECIAL system, without them you would lose a ton of versatility in character builds.
  2. A skill system is such an integral part of any game that has one that it should be one of the very first stages of the design process. If they're just getting around to implementing skills now, they're stupid, plain and simple.
  3. Skills look to have been merged with perks, evidenced by the appearance of ranked, perk-like requirements for crafting. This is potentially even worse than just removing skills altogether, as the two systems are meant to accomplish different things. Skills are meant to reflect your character's aptitude at a given task, perks are meant to be unique bonuses that add flavor to character ability and roleplaying. With skills and perks merged, we're probably going to end up with a whole lot of useless filler perks that do nothing but make the character better at stuff. The system invites bad perk design.

I was just watching 7 New Things You Can Do in Fallout 4 Gameplay by outsidexbox on you tube and they were babbling on and something grabed my atation they mentioned about shering what you craft and also mentiond about a on line share but they did not mention about Nexus

I also am wondering about new mods and sutch will we be able to have mods like we do now for FO3 and FONV or are they going to try to restrict it to there community or try to slip in pade mods again this is some thing we will just have to watch for

one last thing has any one herd of a relice date as yet ?

• 3 weeks later...

I was just watching 7 New Things You Can Do in Fallout 4 Gameplay by outsidexbox on you tube and they were babbling on and something grabed my atation they mentioned about shering what you craft and also mentiond about a on line share but they did not mention about Nexus

I also am wondering about new mods and sutch will we be able to have mods like we do now for FO3 and FONV or are they going to try to restrict it to there community or try to slip in pade mods again this is some thing we will just have to watch for

one last thing has any one herd of a relice date as yet ?

The relase date of Fallout 4 was revealed at the 2015 E3 presentation and will be released on November 10th of this year. And paid mods might be coming but they have probably learned of their massive f*#@ up and the backlash of the community and will just add a donation button.

Everybody is worried about the skills not being in the game. While I agree that it could be a bad thing, I think that Bethesda has been good to us so far and they'll pull through. If the layered perk system works like people think it'll work, things will be good (if not better) than having skill points.