What are Your Ideas For Possible Vault Experiments?

simplywayne90

- Vault where communistic ways were taught to the dwellers.

The result - a community/city/town based on communistic values. Oh! - red vaultsuits!!!! and anti-capitalistic radio station :))))

- a Christian Vault

The result - Christian zealots wandering the wasteland killing sinners :)

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I updated this thread so I'll post all the other vault ideas since then.

Here are 2 of my personal favorites that I felt were very well thought and awesome.

I like the idea of social experiments, and find them potentially valid when dealing with concerns about rebuilding a new society post-apocalypse. I've been considering Vaults like the following for Fallout.

1) A vault dedicated to the study of unfettered capitalism. The original inhabitants would be picked according to economic beliefs, all educational material would be oriented towards capitalist indoctrination and Objectivist-style philosophy, and everything provided by Vault-Tec would require purchase (down to the coin-operated water fountains and the ammo vending machines).

What Is Found: The vault is still sealed. All occupants are dead, the result of revolution and the ultimate inability of the those who prosper on the backs of the working class to survive the loss of them.

2) A vault dedicated to the study of gender inequality. All medicine is regulated through highly secure Vault-Tec dispensers. Original inhabitants are teenagers and are chosen with a 4-1 ratio of females over males, with only females assigned to positions of authority or security. All educational materials are designed to lack any mention of males except in a subservient context, including a doctoring of historical texts to rewrite all notable historical figures as women. Likewise, entertainment media paint a strict matriarchal image of society with males relegated to a second-class and largely sexual role. Medicine for pregnant women is subtly altered to cause the first generations to be born predominantly female. However, medicine dispensed afterword is doctored to cause a progressively higher number of male births until the gender gap eventually reaches a 4-1 dominance of males over females.

What Is Found: The Vault ran smoothly and successfully for several generations until the democratic matriarchy voted (in violation of Vault-Tec directives) to open the Vault early for trade with other Vaults and outside settlements. Severe culture-shock, compounded by overwhelming evidence contradicting their indoctrination, trigger a hyper-conservative withdrawal. Some, including nearly the entire male population, escape and join the communities the Wasteland. For those who remain, deliberate ignorance and dogmatic xenophobia guide their society towards an all-female "amazonian" raider culture.

I wish all ideas could be this awesome, I actually want to email these two to Big B, these are incredible!

Hmm, I think it'd be quite interesting to see how a vault would develop if rank was based on an alphabetical system. Anyone whose name began with A would be promoted to security or administration whilst people with names beginning with Z would be given jobs in maintenance. When the kids started to be born it might be interesting to see what happens..

Another idea: Initially, there are an above average number of occupants chosen for the vault. The dwellers are all selected because they are experts in survival (e.g. Bear Grylls S.A.S types). They are dumped in the vault with tents, fire making kits, and the equipment needed to make primitive weapons. The vault's structure would consist of hundreds of small passage ways with small rooms dotted at random points. The atrium would consist of a wide open floor with a pool in the middle (this would be the vault's only source of water).

Other than these things there would be no furniture to speak of, just gleaming floors and solid walls.

Let the fun times commence...

Hmmm I'd enjoy those, I imagine the downfall of the first vault would be that everyone ends up being named Alonzo ("Alonzi[/i ]Alonzo!" -Doctor Who reference) and thus the system breaks-down futhur.

The second I can imagine a lot of ways for that to turn out, include some good ways. Maybe they end up in barbarism or perhaps after being discovered become a powerful force in the wasteland like maybe they turn into the "Beastlords" of Fallout Tactics or something.

While not really a full vault idea, I'd love to see a vault that somehow included the "Evil Overlord List Of Things To Do"

It's a funny list that lists all the things an evil villan should or should not do, in order to not be defeated ever.

Some examples of it.

4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies. (Scotty from Austin Powers)

9. I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely necessary. If it is necessary, it will not be a large red button labelled "Danger: Do Not Push". The big red button marked "Do Not Push" will instead trigger a spray of bullets on anyone stupid enough to disregard it. Similarly, the ON/OFF switch will not clearly be labelled as such.

21. I will hire a talented fashion designer to create original uniforms for my Legions of Terror, as opposed to some cheap knock-offs that make them look like Nazi stormtroopers, Roman footsoldiers, or savage Mongol hordes. All were eventually defeated and I want my troops to have a more positive mind-set.

43. I will maintain a healthy amount of skepticism when I capture the "beautiful rebel" and she claims she is attracted to my power and good looks and will gladly betray her companions if I just let her in on my plans.

46. If an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This," and kill the advisor.

89. After I capture the hero's superweapon, I will not immediately disband my legions and relax my guard because I believe whoever holds the weapon is unstoppable. After all, the hero held the weapon and I took it from him.

94. When arresting prisoners, my guards will not allow them to stop and grab a useless trinket of purely sentimental value, as these trinkets tend to cause problems later.

etc...

Heres a link to the whole thing which is hilarious!

This Evil Overlord List

Mine would be a cultural experiment. The vault would be stuffed with relics of the long forgotten hippy culture, with clothes, drugs, and music from the era. The vault P.A would always spout anti-war slogans. The purpose was to see how long they could survive on the outside, having been raised to be peaceful and passive.

Heres Another idea...

A Vault that would, for 20 years be run by One overseer(known to have high delusions of grandeur and a major inferiority complex), On the 20th year, subliminal messages would be planted into the other inhabitants to revolt against the current Overseer and Change for a new regieme. This Overseer would then be forced to live without his previous power as just another Vault dweller, Soon this Overseer would be given an oppitunity to take power back, but at the cost of half the other Vault residents dying and the loss of a limb of his choice.

The experiment would be a test to see how far Man would go to gain(or Re-gain) power.

My vaults experiment would be to test if people could communicate through trade and can trust each other enought to coexist peacefully.

There would be 2000 resident of this GIANT vault. It is split in 2, essentially becoming 2 vaults.

The vault door is sealed untill the vault computer opens it

There would be a green and a blue side

Each side has their own overseer

The green side of the vault grows and maintains a food supply but has minimal water (Enough for maybe 1/4 of that side's residents)

The blue side has the vaults water purifier and supply but minimal food (Enough for 1/4 of that side's residents)

Thus the two sides must immediatly contact each other and establish a trade relationship. There is a small utility tunnel connecting the sides that is used for the transport of food or water.

That is the easy part.

Once the vault's computer discovers the trade relationship it gives the residents 15 years of peaceful trading then, certain things begin to go missing, the stray pork-and-beans can, the bottle of purified water.

The supply is kept under close control on both sides and they start to blame each other for the dissapearences. Eventually, after around 20 years of bickering over minor lost goods, Blue's water purification chip is destroyed by the vault computer. Naturally blue blames green and green denies it. Well blue probably will cut of the trade deal and thus forces green into an all out war against blue. Only once one side captures another does the vault open and the victors of the war are allowed outside.

Anyways since I'm always working on multiple threads and mod plots for modders, I wanted to mention one that may eventually be released

Recently I've been gathering to recreate Cassidy from Fallout 2, who is Cass' missing father. We decided since he'd likely be dead by New Vegas if he'd been simply adventuring and kickin ass.

So an idea sprung up.

Either A facility like a vault with highly advanced medical technology and stasis or life preservation techniques.

Or

A vault that never had inhabitants, that activally sent out robots or messages via radio or pip-boy and captured people and keeps them in stasis. Like a venus-fly trap, the vault does this to ensure the survival of those it captures as it cannot comprehend that the bombings have already taken place.

Just thought those ideas belonged here as well.

Following on from the idea of a vault where its waist-deep in water at all times....a vault which is totally underwater except for certain areas.

basically, having started out as a clear and dry normal seeming vault, it was never installed with a bilge system. the various plumbing systems are built to fail over the first 30 years except the purifier, which is mounted at the bottom-most part of the vault to constantly clean the rising water levels.

result: the vault slowly fills with water for 200 years. the only areas not full of water are the uppermost levels and trapped air-pockets throughout the vault.

the result will force the vault dwellers to live in a water filled environment nearly all the time. one would expect a substantial quantity of makeshift swimming and underwater breathing apparatus.

Someone recently suggested a vault like from Van Buren where an A.I takes care of a zoo of animals and children and then releases them as they become adults (The children not the animals)

Eventually the vault has a miscalculation and begins to release animals instead of people and locks the dwellers inside while releasing dangerous animals like lions, bears, and reptiles that eventually or already mutate.

More Ideas to come later