Oblivion constant crashing; "Faulting module name: kernel32.dll"

ColdTyrant

Hello. I've had Oblivion on my PC for a couple years, and I've always struggled with a crashing problem, mods or no mods. It can crash on area transition, simply running through an area, or when I'm fighting something. It's always random, and very frequent. I've decided to come here in hopes of at last finding a solution. My PC runs every other game fine - Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas etc. Only Oblivion constantly invokes this Kernel32.dll related crash error.

This is the log in Windows 7 Event Viewer from when the game crashed:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: Oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7

Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18869, time stamp: 0x556363bb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011369
Faulting process id: 0x16dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0aec5f02d4730
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my hardware info:
----------------------------------------------------------
Processor: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
RAM: 8.00 GB
64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
-----------------------------------------------------------
If anymore information is needed, I will be more than happy to provide. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice on how I should solve this.

Try deleting the Oblivion.ini file in My Documents. Launch the game after and it'll create a new one. If it's corrupt for some reason, unlucky install, bad modding experience, etc. a fresh copy will do the trick.

Works for a lot of people with this error. Probably it since your other games aren't causing it.

Good luck.

Deleting the ini didn't help, in-fact, that made it crash before even loading into the game.

I've been trying to work at and discover a solution to my problem all day to no avail. I've been crashing extremely frequently, and this is the new and consistent Event Viewer log for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: Oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7
Faulting module name: Oblivion.exe, version: 1.2.0.416, time stamp: 0x462392c7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x003d22d5
Faulting process id: 0x197c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0af039a08fb51
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe
Report Id: ea6ea528-1af6-11e5-983c-902b345ad915
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I researched, the error basically states Oblivion is trying to access memory it doesn't own. Why? I don't know. I've been all over the internet today scouting for an answer or a solution with zero success. I believe I've tried every possible 'fix' out there to stop my crashing issue. I'm beginning to feel like there /isn't/ a fix for my particular problem.

And you deleted the one in the My Documents folder, not the one in the Steam folder, right? Is your game currently modded? I could see the game blowing up on launch if it's modded and those mods edited the ini and now those edits are gone.

Consider uninstalling. Then go into your Steam and My Documents folders and manually remove all the crap that gets left behind when you uninstall. Crap that gets left behind and used again when it reinstalls if you don't go through and blow it all away by hand after. All kinds of junk remains after you uninstall this game. If you had an issue with something, and then reinstalled without taking out the trash manually afterward, this could be your issue.

Don't tweak your .ini files like tweakguides recommends.

UAC disabled?

I'll keep thinking.

Yes I deleted the one in the My Documents folder, and I have mods installed, but nothing beyond armor mods and face textures, and a UI mod.

I don't have the steam version. I have the non-steam disc version installed to C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no improvement in performance. The crashes are not when the game starts, they are random and occur as I am playing the game. According to Windows, the crashes are always caused by a 0xc0000005 exception.

I've completely deleted the old ini and save data with every uninstall and reinstall as well.

and what is UAC?

Edited by ColdTyrant

Can't get this to post for some reason...

The UI mod likely edited your .ini file. Those edits were wiped when you blew it away and it installed a new one. Explains why you crashed on launch now. Didn't realize it was currently modded, sorry about that. You'll have to reinstall your mods or at the very least, that UI one. Appologies.

User Account Control. Think it may have started with Vista and is in 7 and I presume 8 as well. You can find out how to set it up/turn it on or off, here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

"User Account Control (UAC) can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. UAC notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that require administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect the security of your computer or can affect settings for other people that use the computer. We recommend that you leave UAC on to help make your computer secure."

I'm not keen on the exacts of it but it is a security feature that is pretty annoying. I've read that it can cause issues with games. Don't know if that's true or not. After a fresh install of Windows it's just about the first thing I "fix" by turning it off. The constant popups when you install something, move something, etc. get on my nerves. I've got plenty of security without it. Lots of people turn it off. You might take a crack at that.

I'm about out of ideas, amigo. Good general advice is grab CCleaner and have it clear out your registry. Tis safe, been using it for close to a decade I'd wager. You can try updating your drivers. Oblivion back in the day was real picky about sound drivers in particular. I do know that way back when, on my old discs version, I had crashes on area transitions and combat and updating the sound driver did fix that. Worth a shot.

If I'm understanding correctly Oblivion is trying to access memory that is reserved for something else, somewhere, somehow. So like something that is supposed to be for windows or whatnot and not something like say a bad stick of RAM. Makes me think it's a bad install. Maybe a disk has got scratched or, heck, dunno. At this point I'd say for whatever reason, your game isn't installing correctly. Disabling UAC may help with that, but I'm grasping at straws now. I'm not programmer and don't work in the tech field. More of a closet enthusiast at best.

Perhaps someone else will chime in with some ideas here and soon. For my money, this is the best TES game made, the only one I still play and very worth the effort to get it working correctly. Wish I coulda helped you out on this one. I'll keep thinking on it though and post if I find something of use.

Good luck.

There is a mod called Oblivion Crash Prevention System. Some people like it, some say it causes problems with your game. It's something I used a looooong time ago and it did prevent some crashes. But I think the best bet is to figure out the problem and correctly take care of it. Could work as a bandaid in the meantime. Make sure you read the description and comments well before jumping on it though. Been years since I used it and it may or may not work anymore.

I solved my issue by updating all of my out of date drivers through Device Doctor. Audio driver included. The game no longer crashes every ten minutes, instead every few hours or so, but for a different reason. Pretty much it doesn't crash anymore like it used to.

Excellent.

A good stability program/mod/thingy I use is Oblivion Stutter Remover found here:http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/23208/?

Instead of a crash every hour or so now I can play for hours and hours in a session without one. It takes time to read the manual and understand what you are doing though. Worth the effort. I took my 200 mod game and made it rock solid stable.

My game has gotten to the point where it crashes all the time again. I have no idea why. I installed Oblivion Stutter Remover and tweaked the ini with no success in stopping the crashing. Could you show me how you tweaked your sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover.ini?