About to start FO3 and I want some advice on mods

Argol

Until today I was playing a heavily modded Oblivion, I had reached the limit and while it mostly runs fine it was unpredictable in it's stability and would crash occasionally at random times. I decided to give it a break and play FO3 instead. However instead of rushing in and heavily modding I am going to try and control myself and would like some advice on certain things.

First off though, I have the game of the year edition. will this cause problems due to certain updates/patches. I think I heard that a certain official patch made the game very unstable with mods.

I have already downloaded a few mods that I plan on using. FWE, MMM, Type 3 bodies.

Other mods I know of and was thinking of using. FOOK2, Apocalypse armoury, CRAFT, RH ironsights

and there are aspects I am interested in changing, these are Weather, Landscape and city mods (stuff like Oblivions better cities and Unique landscapes)

My main concerns are the Overhauls, FWE and FOOK2 along with MMM and AA. What are the major differences between FWE and FOOK2, is MMM compatible with them? Also I like challenging game play so I am worried that AA adds easy to obtain uber weapons and butt loads or ammo.

More questions may arise. as I said I want to aproach modding FO3 with caution so any help is appreciated.

well, i am playing with FWE (couldn't live without it) and MMM (another must have), and they work just fine

though you should go to the FOIP page and get any and all patches that you might need

the main difference between FOOK and FWE is that FOOK is mostly an item mod, meaning that most of what it adds is new items (weapons, armors and such), while FWE is mostly a feature mod (sprinting, bullet time, real needs, item availability and such)

as i said, i play with FWE, and since it isn't really compatible with FOOK, i never really gave it a chance, but it is supposed to be one hell of a mod (though i wouldn't remove FWE, so i won't test it)

don't know about AA, but you can easily configure ammo availability and ammo weight through FWE, so that you can make the game harder (and in my opinion more rewarding)

i would strongly recommend Fellout, it's one of the best mods out there, and it makes the wasteland look so much better (and it also makes it harder, especially with the darker nights which will force you to use night vision or sleep 'till morning)

i hope this answers at least some of your questions

and if you have any more, you are welcome to ask :)

Ok just found a few more mods I may install. Real Time settlers and the unofficial perk pack. Now I have also found more body mods, as expected. The problem is clothing, the reason my Oblivion is packed full is because of clothing mods. Oblivion has a mod that enables you to switch body types for maximum compatibility with clothes. Is there a mod like that on FO3?

i really don't know about such a mod that allows you to switch bodies

there may be one, but none that i can remember

as for packing the game full of clothing mods, i know how that's like, but if you really want to play the game, you'll probably have no reason to do this

i can tell you that for me, i have removed all of the mods that i didn't want, so the only clothing mod i have is Antistar's Dragonskin Tactical Outfit mod

the thing is, most of the mods are either underpowered or overpowered when you play with FWE, and so it's really ruining the game (at least in my opinion)

besides, i don't think that anyone will run around half naked in the FWE wasteland

i am running in my full suit of Winterized T-51b, and i'm still getting hit from time to time (not to mention how deadly it was for me when i got to the Pitt and had to live with some junk armor from there)

so in the end, i would recommend you to think again before stuffing your game full of unused mods

it's usually just going to make it more unstable, and make your saves larger and slower

but that's just my opinion

i can tell you that i have tried RTS a few months ago, and i really loved it, but this is a mod that you need to start with a new save, and work hard on getting your city up and running (it just takes a lot of time for each thing to get built, and it also takes a nice amount of resources)

i don't know if it has been updated since i last used it, but if i'll go for another run of the game, i'll be sure to give it another try :thumbsup:

For body switchers, there are 2 that I know of right now, Body Control and FEM. Body Control has been around much longer and is a manual switcher, you have to tell it what body you want to change to. FEM is recent and still being "finished" but automatically changes your charecters body to match that of the clothing, as long as that clothing has been scripted to do so. As for the GOTY edition having modded stability issues, I have GOTY as well and can't say that I've had any issues that weren't due to a mod conflict that was fixed by rearranging the load order. Dealing with all the waste clothes can be quite a bother. Since I use the Type 3 body, I went with LingsFinerThings, which adds a good number of clothes/armors for that body and just grabbed 3 or 5 other clothe/armor mods. I couldn't say anything about FOOK or AA as I'm a FWE/MMM user as well and just won't remove them to test but, have heard many great things about both mods.

Removed the bit about UPP, forgot it was modular.

Edited by XsveyX