FCOM-- I want to make it into a single .omod or Archive

Bongu

EDIT: corrected a few words

In short, I want to make FCOM into a single omod or archive that you can just extract and install.

Here is the longer version.

FCOM is famous for being arguably the best combination of mods there is for Oblivion, and is infamous for being a huge pain to install. It seems like only the more experienced moders can do it. I want to change that and offer it in a single .omod and/or archive. Of course .omod's are archives and OBMM can be used to extract them.

FCOM is a very attractive mod and I would like to make it so everyone can have the basic installation of it. All the files will still be there individually,

Of course there is always you nay sayers and I would like to hear your opinions too. For those of you who dont know everything FCOM has (By the name) FCOM is

((F))rancescos Leveled Creatures Items Mod + Full add-ons.

Oblivion War(©)ry

((O))scuros Oblivion Overhaul

((M))artigens Monster Mod

FCOM: Convergence doesnt contain these files. it contains the files needed so they can work together and keep balance in the game, or just to work together period.

I think it would not be possible to get permission from all the authors of FCOM since it seems they are no longer supporting the mod. No new updates, patches, or any of that has been released in quite a while. Also, there are many authors that contributed to the making of each of the mods listed.

I see how making this available for download would be against the rules, and I also see how this can create some controversy.

That's why I am very hesitant to even speak about this, but do it regardless.

To me, this is a community and we all share our mods. But also, I would not like my mods getting stolen and used in other things without my permission. However, when FCOM was created, it was created to be used by everyone to enhance the experience of Oblivion, especially for the older players. With my idea, I do not intend to change or modify anything, but simply put them together and make it available for download.

Now, before you say. "yeah, there are guides to help you install it".

There has been many people coming in and out of the forums, chat, asking how do they install FCOM. Those guides arent helpful unless you already have plenty of exp modding and they are pretty sloppy imho. The guides didn't help me much. I had to fresh install about 5-6 times before I got it running. Say what you want, but thats how it goes for some.

If you are looking at this, and saying that the people who can't install it are stupid, you are wrong. The people who can't install it should take the time to learn, they will likely fail (I've seen it many times). Or that the people who can't get it installed should just not use it. Well, whats the point if you cant use it.

I was wondering. Is there anyway I can make it available for download here at the nexus. Is there any way the this can be an exception to the rule?

If not, I will just keep it to myself. I understand why it would not be allowed, and I respect it. I am just pleading a case, to see If i can upload this very helpful project of mine.

Thanks for reading.

well, making a mod into an OMOD is easy to do with OBMM

just open up OBMM, and at the bottom, there is a button named Create

just press it, and fill up all the boxes that you want to

now, this won't be an OMOD with a script, meaning that it's just the package for you to have, it won't allow you to choose which plugins to install (i mean that it won't open up a window with options, like you get when you install a software or something)

for such an OMOD, you need to make a script, and it's more complicated (and nothing i can tell you how to do)

not sure if this will do the trick with FCOM, as i have never tried to install it, so i don't know what it's made of

hope this helps

yes i know. i will not be making a script. The files will be handled by you manually. I do not know how to script but the files will be put right. If i were to be allowed to upload this, I will also included the extra plugins for the FCOM overhauls. in a separate folder.

I don't think it's possible or practical to put it into a single omod. It combines four different mods, each of which is extremely large on its own and is being developed independently of the others.

In other words, the omod would be gigantic, would probably kill OBMM, and if one of the mods gets updated the entire thing would have to be rebuilt and downloaded again by everyone using it.

actually, everything will be placed as if you installed it individually. OBMM will be fine, it will just be a lengthy extraction. everything will be fine. you can modify it and everything. it wont be like intalling just one single .esp, .bsa or .esm. they are all separate and fully modable.

it will just install FCOM for you instead of you having to do it all yourself.

using archiveinvalidation invalidated! will also make patching very easy and simple.

Edited by Bongu

Not practical for a multitude of reasons. However BAIN would be the preferred method for ease of installation for such amounts of resources and overlaps, and since FCOM requires Wrye Bash I see no reason not to use, and advocate the use of, a BAIN package. BAIN packages are very easy to update as well when necessary using a BCF (BAIN Conversion File), and do not require a complete repackage. If you want to script the installation to make it easier for users who are unfamiliar or uncertain you can use a BAIN wizard, which behaves exactly like an OMOD script, yet is easier to write.

FCOM, and the containing mods, are still updated to this day by the FCOM team, by the way. And until the FCOM team decides to admit that the instructions available are confusing and spread over websites and forum posts then we will never see an end to the constant stream of "FCOM Help" threads. This is a dead horse we're beating here. This topic has been brought up so many times and brought to the attention of Team FCOM many many times as well, but seems to fall on deaf ears. Plus they usually refuse offers of help from "outsiders" when it comes to repackaging and writing installation guides. So until the FCOM Team decides to buckle down and rewrite a comprehensive, up to date guide, and develop a centralized website for collection of information, we will continue to see the endless amounts of FCOM help threads, and the similar.

With that said the most recent information can be found in the Official FCOM Thread @ BethSoft. It's the best place to go for installation instructions, updated components, and help requests. Your chances of success greatly increase by using the opening post in the aforementioned thread and then asking questions. The FCOM team is still very active in that thread and post on a near daily basis.

Not practical for a multitude of reasons. However BAIN would be the preferred method for ease of installation for such amounts of resources and overlaps, and since FCOM requires Wrye Bash I see no reason not to use, and advocate the use of, a BAIN package. BAIN packages are very easy to update as well when necessary using a BCF (BAIN Conversion File), and do not require a complete repackage. If you want to script the installation to make it easier for users who are unfamiliar or uncertain you can use a BAIN wizard, which behaves exactly like an OMOD script, yet is easier to write.

FCOM, and the containing mods, are still updated to this day by the FCOM team, by the way. And until the FCOM team decides to admit that the instructions available are confusing and spread over websites and forum posts then we will never see an end to the constant stream of "FCOM Help" threads. This is a dead horse we're beating here. This topic has been brought up so many times and brought to the attention of Team FCOM many many times as well, but seems to fall on deaf ears. Plus they usually refuse offers of help from "outsiders" when it comes to repackaging and writing installation guides. So until the FCOM Team decides to buckle down and rewrite a comprehensive, up to date guide, and develop a centralized website for collection of information, we will continue to see the endless amounts of FCOM help threads, and the similar.

With that said the most recent information can be found in the Official FCOM Thread @ BethSoft. It's the best place to go for installation instructions, updated components, and help requests. Your chances of success greatly increase by using the opening post in the aforementioned thread and then asking questions. The FCOM team is still very active in that thread and post on a near daily basis.

A custom built BAIN archive is deifinitely the way to go for simplified, reliable, repeatable FCOM installation, but setting up the archive will takes a little work. I have made one for myself. However, most of the main FCOM mods (MMM, OOO, Warcry, Frans, etc.) are still being updated (several regularly) and each of the main FCOM mods (including FCOM) was originally created and is maintained by a different set of authors. Therefore, in my view, not only is it impracticable to create a reliable compilation archive for public distribution at this point, but it would also be unethical unless permission to do so is obtained from the authors of each mod involved.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Hem

ok guys thanks for your input. i have been told why it is "impractical" by many people. i do not see why. you will be able too fully update it with whatever packages are released and all that. If the FCOM team doesnt want to take action for their own mod, then thats on them.

people need t stop making themselves so exclusive. its modding, its suppose to be available for everyone. people keep telling me its a shame that i will not be able to release this. but oh well.

installation is confusing and many people who want to use wont be able to.

help fron outsiders? pff, since when is a community full of outsiders? anyway. I will keep this to myself. regardless, i think it should be packaged in a way that you can update it, just like i have :wallbash:

There is a scripted omod version of FCOM installer around - search for uFCOM. It analyses not only which of OOO/MMM/Frans you have installed, but which optional bits and applies the needed compatibility patches. So far <touch wood> it's worked perfectly on my setup.