Reinstalling the game, keeping the mods

Pitrus

I just purchased the ultimate edition and would like to install it for the benefits. The problem is that I've got a rather large assortment of mods by now on my old copy.

Those that are simply unzipped into the override folder are of course not a problem, I'll just back that folder up and reinsert it when I'm done reinstalling.

The ones I'm worries about are those that I've installed using DAO Modmanager, do these spread out all over the game directory or is there some convenient way of backing them up?

I'd be grateful for any insights, be they good or bad!

All the mods that DAMM handles are found in the two folders it creates "underneath" itself. One is "dazips", and the other is "overrides".

Prudence would suggest that you use DAMM to "uninstall" each mod from the game itself first, (although this shouldn't matter) then make a copy of those two folders elsewhere before you do the full un-/re-install of game.

Then reinstall DAMM and copy the contents of the two folders back where they belong.

[Edited to clarify and correct typos.]

Edited by Thandal

Make copies of the following folders:

BioWare\Dragon Age

AddIns

Characters

Logs

Mods

Modules

Offers

Packages (this includes your override folder)

Pre-Release Characters (if you have the Character builder)

Settings

Toolset

Make copies of your ini files and any system information files plus logs both on the installation directory and the second directory for example the primary directory is c:\Documents and Settings\Naomi Smith\My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age then the above, my installation directory is K:\Program Files\Dragon Age\ but if your's is c it will be something like c:\Program Files\ Dragon Age

You need to back up the following folders from the installation directory

addins

data

docs

modules

packages

tools

You may not need these but it helps to have them handy save the folders for each directory in separate main folders for example Dragon Age C Files

and Dragon Age Installation Files

Install the game as normal and then the DLCs as required, back up those folders and then overwrite them with the folders you have saved.

This should work. it'll take time and patience and you should test frequently.

Hope this helps

Let me know

Naomi

Well, Naomi is correct if you want to keep ALL your previous materials, and not just your mods. (Hadn't even thought about your charactrers and saves, since you didn't mention them.)

One issue to be aware of with that approach is that the "official" DLC is in the "\addins" folder. I know that the UE handles that stuff slightly differently, (at least for the install) since it's all on-disc rather than an actual download.

Not sure what happens if you overwrite the UE's material with the stuff from your copied "\addins" folder. The "authorization" mechanism might get borked... :mellow:

Edited by Thandal

Yes I agree Thandal had forgotten that, but the Ultimate Edition has all the DLCs included doesn't it, I'm not sure as I don't want to be tempted lol.

If it does then the Offers wont be needed as it should be covered in the new installation. I tend to backup most folders "just in case" but some aren't needed on a reinstall but are helpful if there is a corruption of files along the way.

I have all DLCs downloaded and saved from BioWare so the Offers folder comes in handy to save time, but it does depend on what you have logged at BioWare as non purchased DLCs will not work regardless of what you do.