What is a 'Sandbox RPG'?

SpellAndShield

I suppose it would be a role playing game in the ilk of Fallout or TES but with more freedom. GTA with levelling and skill increases for want of a better description.

Either that or an Afgan grenade/rocket launcher...:D...

(See here an old and probably forgotten message board discussion on the matter.)

Edited by evertaile

I believe a "sandbox RPG" is an RPG that is more or less "open-ended." For example, I would consider Morrowind and Oblivion to be sandbox RPGs, given the amount of freedom they offer you in making your choices. Another aspect of a sandbox RPG is the ability of the player to interact with the elements of the game a considerable amount (people, items, among other things). I'd actually say that that is where the word "sandbox" comes from. For example, Battlefield: Bad Company is said to have a "sandbox-type" gameplay. This game isn't very open-ended, being a multiplayer combat game, but it allows the player to interact a huge amount with the environment by blowing holes in walls and mowing over trees with tanks and such. However, this may apply more to that kind of game, while the open-ended aspect of "sandbox" applies more to the RPG world.

Have you ever played minecraft, IMHO its genius. Its a sandbox RPG where you seek out materials to make structures and items and everything is made of blocks.

In the night the monters come out and you have to build yourself a safe house to hide in overnight.

Minecraft is a sandbox game but I wouldn't call it a Sandbox RPG. There is no story or character development (the only way you get better is by crafting better equipment), just building and crafting things.