AI stuff

Lehcar

So any word on what the AI is going to be like in Skyrim? Like are they going to try to make it smarter or more complex? It wasn't too bad in Oblivion, but the limitations of the AI system they gave us really showed and sometimes it wasn't very, er, intelligent. :wacko:

The overhauled Radiant AI will deliver more believable NPC behaviour , with distinctive personalities being played out in the actions of Skyrim's inhabitants. There'll also look more believable than before thanks to the implementation of Havok Behavior. "I think we're the first real big game to use it," boasted Howard, before explaining what the tech brings to the game. New animations make the characters much more lifelike, and that has various repercussions.

(I did not write this but copied it from an arcticle on gameprestige. They got it from game informer. I take little credit for posting it.)

From what I heard, most NPCs will now have jobs, and things they do during the day, rather than their life schedule be 'Sleep, walk outside, talk to other NPCs, go to tavern, go back to sleep'. When you talk to an AI, instead of them focusing their full attention on you, they'll continue doing what they were doing (if they were doing something) while realisticly looking at you and speaking. Also time will not freeze when you enter a conversation anymore (So I cant cast a level 100 charm spell for 3 seconds D: )

And apparently if they see an item on the ground of value, they'll pick it up. If two people want that item bad enough, they may go as far to fight for it. Or maybe if its your friend, he'll try to return it to you (I hope they don't do this frequently and I end up screaming at my computer 'I MEANT TO DROP THAT!!!!')

If you swing your sword close to people or in their face they won't like you as much, or if you dance back and forth on their table, knocking all of their plates and foot too the floor (a personal favorite of mine in oblivion) they won't like you as much. Another thing I heard was if people liked you enough, you could stay the night at their house. For lodging purposes, of course.

Also new animations and appearance will make the NPC's more lifelike and real. If you've seen the screenshot Bethesda released of the Tavern, the woman up close looks a lot more realistic than Oblivion's, and the bartender in the back had his hands on the table, unlike in Oblivion where the bartender/shopkeeper would just stand blankly behind their counter for 12 hours, then go to sleep.

I'm putting many of my hopes in this new AI they have been talking so much about. Not only we'll be able to have a much more realistical game play experience, an improved immersion feeling and not to mention that we'll have a lot more fun, but combined with the other game play elements Skyrim is supposed to deliver, it will extend this game's life time considerably. Oblivion is still kicking after all these years and has a modding community bigger than any I know of. Imagine what Skyrime will give us. I'm pretty sure that it will also have his own OBSE and all the other good stuff. :happy::wub: