Importing a MODDED armor from TES : Oblivion into FO3

Mays

Hello everybody, I need some help for importing a modded armor designed for TES Oblivion into FO3. When I try to open it in the GECK, it says :

MASTERFILE: (BSStream Error) NIF BSversion is too old in Armor\pizz\blame\armorm.nif

I found what appears to be the answer here : http://www.jfvgames.ch/fallout3/tutoriel/tutorielmodele.html (in french)

but this is far too complicated for me. Does anyone know an easier way ?

Or, if Santa was among us, perhaps he would convert it for me... But I'd like to learn...

By the way, I am aware that I can't import materials native from TES, the armor I intend to import is this one :

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13818

The author doesn't support his mod because he cannot speak english, he is japanese and I don't speak japanese. I, myself, am not a native english speaker.

Thanks in advance for helping me, anyone...

Mays

EDIT : Be aware that I don't have the author's authorisation for releasing any part of his mod. This is for my personal use only and to learn in order to go further in my own projects.

Edited by Mays

Converting armor meshes from Oblivion to Fallout is a lot more complicated than simply importing into the GECK. I don't speak French, but that guide seems to direct you to the right tools and outline the process. Yes, it really is that complex, and there is no quicker way to do it.

I've converted melee weapons from Oblivion, and that was a major headache to figure out. Armor is another beast entirely.

Edited by luthienanarion

Downloaded blender along with nifscripts and everything

Imported my armor, adapted it to a FO3 type3 body skeleton, applied deformation, deleted the skeleton and then the non-deformed meshes. Exported everything in .nif and opened it with nifskope. It shows up properly. I opened another type3 body in another nifskope window, deleted all its parts, except the skeleton and pieces of meat, sent all the parts of my armor there and exported it.

Then, when I open this model in the GECK I don't have any errors, but the model seems invisible.

Anyone who finds the solution or offers to do that for me, I'll do your homeworks AND your dishes for a year ! Pleeaaase...

Hi!

If you want to port an armor nif to fo3 you need to import it to blender first, then you delete the armature and the body.

Then u gotta delete all the vertex groups for your armor mesh cause you need to rerig it for the new body anyway.

Go into your fo3 data, get the body model you want to port it to, vanilla or modded one. Import that also into your blend.

Import the geometry only first and then import the skeleton.

Now u got the fallout body and the armor, meatcaps and the armature.

in object mode, select your armor mesh and hold shift and select the body mesh and then go to object > scripts > bone weight copy.

Select quality 3 and then click on no x crossing if it has leg parts on the armor. then ok and wait as it copies the skinning data over to your armor.

Look at how the mesh fits over the new body. You can delete underlying body geometry if it clips through or adjust the shape of the armor mesh at the edges to fix clipping.

IF you want to really get a nice result you will want to test the rigging and do some manual weight adjustment while using animations, but thats a bit more advanced than the basic process.

Then parent the armor to the armature by selecting the armor and hold shift, select the armature and hit control p, dont name vertex groups.

now select fallout 3 defaults for exporting, set it up for exporting an armor, u want export skin partiton on, flatten skin, export geometry only .nif, ignore the middle column.

Right collumn u want to select the cloth shader presets button and that should turn on shadow map along with the ones that were already on. make sure use bsfadenode root is turned off and export dismember body parts is on.

The buttons are on when they are dark and when they are lighter that means they are off.

Then when you click ok it should export, but sometimes u get an error cause bone weight copy may fail to assign some vertices to the body part vertex groups used for vats and dismemberment.

If that happens just assign the vertices to BP_TORSO, or whatever part of the body it other nearby vertices are assigned to.

open the exported nif in nifskope and you should have the working fallout nif but you are gonna want to go into bsshaderpplightingproperty of the nitristrips block for arms01 and change the shader settings.

Your nifskope has to be set up to show the block details window along with the block list window in tree view.

In the block details go down and select shader skin and then click on the one under it "shader flags" add the window environment mapping shader flag.

Remember your only supposed to do that for arms01, the other nitristrips blocks are fine.

Open the texture files in a texture editor program like photoshop or gimp and look at em, save em as a dds with dxt5 compression.

Oh yeah, make sure the alpha channel of the normalmap is not too white cause that controls specularity of the texture (reflectiveness)

Then test it in the game, should be working great. Now i expect that the process will be difficult for you on your first try but I have pointed you in the right direction.

I have told you each thing you must do but not how to do every one of those things.

Please use the keywords i have supplied to search for specific tutorials and forum posts that will solve all your issues.

Good luck on your project!

Thank you so much baduk, a lot of your instructions look like what I've already done (turns out, I had found the right intels) but I might have missed something, I'll start over and follow your instructions.

:ninja:

Successfully reached the stage right after joining the meshes of the armor (ctrl+p), joining the pieces of the body also, then I did a bone weight copy, it took an hour and half to complete (I read it could take time depending on the computer and the complexity of models)

Now I imported a FO3 skeleton, sent it in the layer of the armor (which still has its arms on the position of model from TES) and made them parent. Looks like it worked but when I used to do that usually the armor would adjust to the skeleton...

But it doesn't happen anymore.

Edited by Mays