Oblivion Problems

Alright, I uninstalled Oblivion a while ago after many technical difficulties. I decided to reinstall it today but I immediatly am facing some problems. Here's my problem:

So, I insert the oblivion disk to reinstall the game. The install screen occurs for a minute with no progress and then, it closes. Confused, I try to re run the setup process. But, the Oblivion launcher menu appears as if I installed the game! So, I click data files and get an error message saying that it could not be found. I try to play the game but I get a CTD. I realize that this "install" is corrupted and I wish to uninstall the game. I go to the control panel and I can't find the game! I go to the launcher and click uninstall but I get another error message! I go the my computer and search "oblivion" and almost nothing is found! What do I do? I want to uninstall Oblivion and then reinstall it, but this problem is hindering me! Help would be appreciated.

Alright, I uninstalled Oblivion a while ago after many technical difficulties. I decided to reinstall it today but I immediatly am facing some problems. Here's my problem:

So, I insert the oblivion disk to reinstall the game. The install screen occurs for a minute with no progress and then, it closes. Confused, I try to re run the setup process. But, the Oblivion launcher menu appears as if I installed the game! So, I click data files and get an error message saying that it could not be found. I try to play the game but I get a CTD. I realize that this "install" is corrupted and I wish to uninstall the game. I go to the control panel and I can't find the game! I go to the launcher and click uninstall but I get another error message! I go the my computer and search "oblivion" and almost nothing is found! What do I do? I want to uninstall Oblivion and then reinstall it, but this problem is hindering me! Help would be appreciated.

Try searching for registry entries and deleting them.

@Sarnuljak: Your post is thread hijacking - posting on sombody elses thread - and against the rules. Please consider this a warning - I have removed it and the reply to you . We really don't charge anything extra to make your own thread where people can actually reply to your question without the answers getting mixed up with someone elses topic.

If you still need help PLEASE make your own topic.

Bben46, Moderator

My guess is you removed Oblivion without uninstalling it - erased the files or deleted the folders. That leaves bits and pieces behind. especially in the Windows registry. Just running a registry cleaner without first uninstalling the game will not remove these entries. And unless you actually know what you are doing I definitely do not recommend editing the registry manually - a mistake there could make your computer into an expensive paperweight.

Please follow this procedure to be sure everything is actually gone and the registry is clean before reinstalling. Taking shortcuts will actually make it take longer.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

My guess is you removed Oblivion without uninstalling it - erased the files or deleted the folders. That leaves bits and pieces behind. especially in the Windows registry. Just running a registry cleaner without first uninstalling the game will not remove these entries. And unless you actually know what you are doing I definitely do not recommend editing the registry manually - a mistake there could make your computer into an expensive paperweight.

Please follow this procedure to be sure everything is actually gone and the registry is clean before reinstalling. Taking shortcuts will actually make it take longer.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Alright, I found the setup.exe in the oblivion folder and am installing it at this moment. I want to get rid of all saves and mods because I wish to install FCOM on a clean Oblivion game. I tried before with 100+ mods and it didn't work out so well. ;)