Oblivion ignoring mod settings

lgpmichael

Now, I've googled and can't find anyone else experiencing the same issues, so I am hoping this will get a lightbulb reaction from someone.

I have a mod that involves a large number of NPC's. At one stage around 40 of them pile out of a large door. So far so good, their low level processing got them there nice and easy but as soon as they are in the same cell as the player, they all freeze (idle animations running just fine), and then one at a time run on to where they are all supposed to go to.

I thought I was fairly doomed at that point, but discovered that there are game settings that are supposed to be able to modify this.

So, I modified iNumberActorsInCombatPlayer and iAINumberActorsComplexScene which seem to be the commonly modified values for this kind of thing. And start up again to test - no change. They still do exactly the same, even when values are set to 50/100 respectively

I have checked with the console, the values are there, and correct ingame. So, it isn't a problem like they aren't being set.

Anyone else ever seen this? Thoughts?

The game engine can only handle a few actors at any given time. Each NPC takes a lot of processing power to run their AI routines. So the engine just runs a very few at a time to keep from crashing. Just having the NPC on the screen takes processing power. Being outside takes more than being inside as the engine has to render all of the scenery at the same time.

The game engine can only handle a few actors at any given time. Each NPC takes a lot of processing power to run their AI routines. So the engine just runs a very few at a time to keep from crashing. Just having the NPC on the screen takes processing power. Being outside takes more than being inside as the engine has to render all of the scenery at the same time.

Of course, however it isn't stressing my processing power, and these game settings are supposed to override the initial limits of 10/20 active. It SHOULD slow the framerate according to the information Ive read on it, and just do as it is told, and not care it is slowing the machine. The game doesn't dynamically say 'I have X processing power, I should stop now' it is supposed to look at these variables.

Obvious point - but you DID modify the oblivion.ini in the folder inside your My Documents folder, and NOT the oblivion_default.ini in the Game install folder?

Obvious point - but you DID modify the oblivion.ini in the folder inside your My Documents folder, and NOT the oblivion_default.ini in the Game install folder?

They arent in the oblivion ini, they are a moddable variable. As I mentioned though, either way, the ingame console shows up that they are set correctly to the values I expected them to be {:-(

I am getting to be of the opinion that the variables just aren't working, and yet, others report they work, I just completely don't understand it... The mod I am working on will never work when enemies run up 5 at a time, and when some NPC's just stand there and let themselves be beaten to death by the other side... {:-(