How do I assemble a team of modders?

Soolie

I am making a huge mod and I need to assemble a team of modders. What is the best way to do this, should I ask for help on the forums or should I ask individual modders for assistance?

Also if anyone wants to help with my mod please contact me.

The mod is a total conversion mod so I will need modders for everything.

I could help if you want. I do Character Design, Just got to remember modders are in low supply usually, unless you know the right people. I'll help you look. By the way modders usually keep in chat via a messenger or something, tell me what to download.

Make a WIP thread complete with fully detailed ideas and concepts. Get people to see the genius of your ideas and request specific help. As mentioned, modders are busy and there aren't many looking for even more work, but if people like what you want to do they just might join you.

As long as you have stuff to work with, and have a WIP thread detailing everything you want to do, you should be able to recruit some modders if any are available :thumbsup: You also have to be able to do things yourself, or the mod will never take off (especially with large mods). Some large mod requests I've seen have the requester saying they'll help, but end up doing no work, and the other people drop it.

Just some little tips ;D

How do I assemble a team of modders?

Most people fail to assemble teams of modders. If they do assemble them, they tend to break up and leave hating each other, or have members just disappear and never be heard from again. Probably the best approach is to become a highly skilled modder yourself so that given enough time, you can build the mod all by yourself. That way the project is in no danger of failing and being abandoned. Any and all help that you do find will make the project easier for you and get it done quicker, but if you lose some team members, then it is not the end of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

During the course of a large project, modders will come and go. Many new recruits will not be very experienced and you will waste a lot of energy trying to teach them. As team leader it will be your job to keep them motivated and on track, and as already said you can expect to do most of the actual work yourself.

First you need a well defined description of what you intend to accomplish, and in what order things will be done. Then a set of separate tasks that each member can work on. You will need your own site somewhere for concept work, ideas, testing, team communication and many other things. And TheNexus just doesn't support that kind of thing.

First you need a well defined description of what you intend to accomplish, and in what order things will be done. Then a set of separate tasks that each member can work on. You will need your own site somewhere for concept work, ideas, testing, team communication and many other things. And TheNexus just doesn't support that kind of thing.

For me the Nexus does :P PMs!

But yes, as we've established, you will be expected to do a lot of the actual work. For example, I'm doing a landmass, while everyone else is doing models and textures (right now), and someone else is writing quests.