Update request on Beautifying Oblivion the Complete Guide on Steam

VGI

If your problem is HD space I think you'll find that 1TB external hard drives are pretty cheap, now. I have a Freeagent 1 TB drive (usb 2.0) and they're very good. You can pick one up for less than a hundred bucks, now. I'm not certain about this, but I think you can install Oblivion on an external drive. I've never tried it, though. The only issue I can think of is that initial loading might be a bit slow over a usb cable.

I am thinking of buying an internal HD, as I always have. I don't think I'd ever buy an external one...not yet at least.

And no, it isn't that cheap here (Philippines). That, or I have been buying many many other stuff (children's books, etc). In one fell swoop, I set out to find SCHOLASTIC (Philippines) just to get Geronimo Stilton books (as many as I could buy) last year. Then there was the Angelina Ballerina DVDs I bought online with my cousin's Paypal help...and then the Steam Holiday Sale...

[...]

In anycase, I haven't had a crash yet. Its just that I am seriously getting tired of modding...hope I am near done.

You'll never be done modding Oblivion, it's addictive and the amount of mods are near endless. Oblivion is so much more than just the main quest, trust me you're not missing anything by beating the main quest first without ever modding Oblivion. Out of the hundreds, hell thousands, of hours of gameplay Oblivion offers the main quest is only a very small piece of the pie. You can beat the main quest in around 15 hours if you go straight through it, but that does not in anyway mean Oblivion is back on the shelf in 15 hours. I've been playing it for years and there is still new content I haven't touched, thanks to this wonderful modding community.

Oh, and yes you're right the STEAM sell was ridiculously awesome, like most all of their sales. I gained around 30 games for less than one Ben Franklin.

Any advice on how to totally clean Oblivion of any and all mods, to truly start out clean so that I could play vanilla?

Or does it call for a total and complete reinstall?...Which would mean that I might end up re-downloading TES4 from Steam.

A Re-download might be the best bet. If that comes as a single file you then install, back it up onto a DVD if you don't have spare hard drive space, so you can reinstall again later if you want.

I currently have five installations of Oblivion, and use a (slightly buggy) program called mTES4 to swap between setups. One is my "Vanilla" setup, one is "Eye candy", one is "serious quest mods" and two are for testing mods out to see if I want to add them - one is currently testing out auto-equipping feet for Argonians and Khajiit. If i want another installation or setup, I just clone the Vanilla game and start modding. 1 TB drives are cheap now, so space isn't a problem. I keep EVERY mod I download on either hard drive or a DVD so I only download once. I'm also looking at swapping over to BAIN installation for mods - but having well over 300 mods downloaded it'll take a while to swap over.

Alternatively try and get a DVD copy of the Game of the Year edition of Oblivion and use that for installation, depending on how much you pay for data downloads that might be cheaper longterm if you think you'll end up re-downloading a few more times.

A Re-download might be the best bet. If that comes as a single file you then install, back it up onto a DVD if you don't have spare hard drive space, so you can reinstall again later if you want.

I currently have five installations of Oblivion, and use a (slightly buggy) program called mTES4 to swap between setups. One is my "Vanilla" setup, one is "Eye candy", one is "serious quest mods" and two are for testing mods out to see if I want to add them - one is currently testing out auto-equipping feet for Argonians and Khajiit. If i want another installation or setup, I just clone the Vanilla game and start modding. 1 TB drives are cheap now, so space isn't a problem. I keep EVERY mod I download on either hard drive or a DVD so I only download once. I'm also looking at swapping over to BAIN installation for mods - but having well over 300 mods downloaded it'll take a while to swap over.

Alternatively try and get a DVD copy of the Game of the Year edition of Oblivion and use that for installation, depending on how much you pay for data downloads that might be cheaper longterm if you think you'll end up re-downloading a few more times.

My main mistake is that I did not backup TES4 right away after download completion from Steam. But it probably won't be a problem to re-download.

I know to you guys hardware is cheap (USA, right?). But here, it ain't so cheap. I mean it is, but still needs to be a planned expense.

MarkInMKUK, you sound like a serious modder, even probably more than just a modder. I wouldn't find the motivation to do what you do.

Much thanks to you and guys like you who do these things and share them with guys like me. Bethesda should pay you guys, seriously. I hope your Khajiit and Argonian mods take flight. I was so disappointed when I realized that Khajiits and Argonians were not designed in Oblivion the way they were designed in Morrowind. Not being able to equip human-feet armor on them wasn't a big deal; helped balance the races. I was also hoping that these two beast-races would swing claws instead of fists when fighting hand-to-hand.