Preferred Method for Creating PipBoy Maps for New Worldspaces?

For some crazy reason, I thought the silly thing autogenerated. Boy was I mistaken.

Considering it's impossible to see exact locations using the GECK Renderer and Heightmap only gives you terrain features...what do you folks do create a good Fallout: New Vegas-style map for a new worldspace?

Thaiauxn did ours. You could probably ask him.

I know that the format is important - ours is 2048x2048 DXT1 with no mipmaps

I think he started with an export of the height map - which is just an image - possibly multiple image sections - Then paste them together and do magic in whatever photo-imaging program he uses. There's a map offset in the worldspace record that you use to line it up in the pipboy, I believe.

Thaiauxn did ours. You could probably ask him.
I know that the format is important - ours is 2048x2048 DXT1 with no mipmaps
I think he started with an export of the height map - which is just an image - possibly multiple image sections - Then paste them together and do magic in whatever photo-imaging program he uses. There's a map offset in the worldspace record that you use to line it up in the pipboy, I believe.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll get in contact with him and see if he's interested in working with us or at least giving us some tips and advice. :)

When I did my couple of worldspaces I toggled grids on and off while moving as high as I could looking down in the render window, I then took screen shots using the grids as a guide. I pieced them all together in a paint program and then applied filters like desaturation and maybe edge detect.

When I did my couple of worldspaces I toggled grids on and off while moving as high as I could looking down in the render window, I then took screen shots using the grids as a guide. I pieced them all together in a paint program and then applied filters like desaturation and maybe edge detect.

Did the same for Willhaven, but it was a small world. I assume doing that when you have 1300 chunks isn't the best solution... :smile: Thaiauxn enlight us! :P

Edited by Fallout2AM

I used TESAnnwyn to export height map and made use of a paint program in a clever way to get something useful.

You still have some job to scale and tinker with settings in GECK to get your true position and map place to fit together.

mindboggles way is similar to one crazy idea I had.

That was to create a mod totally scripted using all features of NVSE and others. When activated in game it would place you at a start position and set your view at ground and then walk all over the worldspace and take snapshots with some naming structure. Then using some picture tool to stitch all of them together.

The quality would be totally superb!

I gave it up since I think it is to much work to get there and too few that would use such a tool, but it would have been awesome.

I'm listening if someone thinks it should work and not that hard to do, still how many would use it? 10-100-1000?