Bashed Patch causes TES4 to crrrraaaaash!

VGI

Ever since I learned how to use Wrye Bash using these great pdf tutorials, I have been getting crashes when the Bashed Patch is activated in my load order.

You can only activate/deactivate it using either OBMM or Wrye Bash. But if you activate/deactivate it in the Oblivion launcher menu, CRASH.

At least I got Weather - All Natural to run activated and all in my load order. And I do hope it is running.

I obviously have done something silly. So...any takers?

Since I learned basic Wrye Bash usage to be able to use Weather - All Natural, let me now comment on my findings: I have turned of Arthur's Weather mod, and I still seem to have good modded weather. Must be Weather - All Natural at work.

But the Natural Interior portion of W - AN is a bit of a puzzle. I wait for it to rain, and I go in a building with windows. Nothing! No interior weather sounds. Hmmm...

Could it be that AWLS is competing with W-AN?

PS: Dammit! Can't change thread topics?

Edited by VGI

If your game is crashing when Wrye Bash is activated, then you are not building it correctly, or you are building it around a bad load order. You never mentioned if you use the latest verstion of BOSS.

You should avoid using the oblivion launcher by now, you Must avoid it if using OBSE. Start the game directly (if without OBSE) from the direct exe or from the obse_loader (mandatory with OBSE). For the remaining, Hickory said it all. Edited by nosisab

Bashed Patch CAN cause problems if you try to integrate everything in it, so I suggest starting with no patch, and building it by adding one section at a time til the crash happens. Then untick all the bits in that section, and add them back one at a time, isolating the one or combination causing the crash. Repeat for the remaining sections. If using FCOM - try the Bashed Patch settings in the FCOM Superpack install page in the superpack forum - it worked for me.

Bashed Patch CAN cause problems if you try to integrate everything in it, so I suggest starting with no patch, and building it by adding one section at a time til the crash happens. Then untick all the bits in that section, and add them back one at a time, isolating the one or combination causing the crash. Repeat for the remaining sections. If using FCOM - try the Bashed Patch settings in the FCOM Superpack install page in the superpack forum - it worked for me.

That's what I had in mind to do. But I rebuilt again the Bashed Patch (after a quick review of the Wrye Bash picture tutorials and now it works.

I think I should just avoid doing things when I should be sleeping. Yes, I am loosing much sleep because of MODDDIIIIIIING!!!

*ahem* To continue, you mentioned FCOM superpack...sounds like a big package that makes life simple. Link?

Edited by VGI

Just some friendly advice... based on the troubles you've already had trying to make all your mods cooperate together, I would definitely not recommend FCOM at this point. It's a hugely complicated and complex conglomeration of different overhaul mods that isn't very well documented. FCOM installations have probably spawned more "Help!" posts here on the Nexus than any other issue. If you thought getting All Natural to run smoothly was a chore, you do not want to go anywhere near FCOM, trust me on this.

I'm not saying it's a bad mod; just that it isn't for the faint of heart and definitely not when you're already losing sleep over mod troubleshooting. Take my advice, play the game for a couple of weeks with all the pretty mods you've struggled so hard to install. You'll like it. Once you've de-stressed a bit and are no longer half ready to pull out all your hair and then throw your Oblivion disc into the trash, THEN do a bit of Googling and read up on exactly what FCOM is and what it does. You may not even want to install it at all; it makes very distinct changes to the game and a lot of people don't care for the effects.

If it does sound up your alley, then go ahead and start installing it. No amount of "super packs" and pictorial guides are going to save you. FCOM is a complex monster and that's just how things are. Many people install it successfully and love it so much they swear they'd never play the game without it. Many other people try it out and decide it's just not how they want to experience the game. And, of course, plenty of people spend three days tearing their hair out and cursing at Wrye Bash but never do manage to get FCOM up and running properly.

Which category will you fall into? I couldn't tell you that, but I do know that if you're already getting migraines over your mods, adding FCOM to the mix is probably going to kill you. You've already started like a dozen threads here over the past few days asking for help with one problem or another related to mods. If you throw in FCOM now, that number of threads is going to double overnight and your stress level is going to shoot through the roof. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from it. For now. Revisit it at a later time when you're relaxed and ready for another twelve-round knockout bout with your load order.

Just some friendly advice... based on the troubles you've already had trying to make all your mods cooperate together, I would definitely not recommend FCOM at this point. It's a hugely complicated and complex conglomeration of different overhaul mods that isn't very well documented. FCOM installations have probably spawned more "Help!" posts here on the Nexus than any other issue. If you thought getting All Natural to run smoothly was a chore, you do not want to go anywhere near FCOM, trust me on this.

I'm not saying it's a bad mod; just that it isn't for the faint of heart and definitely not when you're already losing sleep over mod troubleshooting. Take my advice, play the game for a couple of weeks with all the pretty mods you've struggled so hard to install. You'll like it. Once you've de-stressed a bit and are no longer half ready to pull out all your hair and then throw your Oblivion disc into the trash, THEN do a bit of Googling and read up on exactly what FCOM is and what it does. You may not even want to install it at all; it makes very distinct changes to the game and a lot of people don't care for the effects.

If it does sound up your alley, then go ahead and start installing it. No amount of "super packs" and pictorial guides are going to save you. FCOM is a complex monster and that's just how things are. Many people install it successfully and love it so much they swear they'd never play the game without it. Many other people try it out and decide it's just not how they want to experience the game. And, of course, plenty of people spend three days tearing their hair out and cursing at Wrye Bash but never do manage to get FCOM up and running properly.

Which category will you fall into? I couldn't tell you that, but I do know that if you're already getting migraines over your mods, adding FCOM to the mix is probably going to kill you. You've already started like a dozen threads here over the past few days asking for help with one problem or another related to mods. If you throw in FCOM now, that number of threads is going to double overnight and your stress level is going to shoot through the roof. Just do yourself a favor and stay away from it. For now. Revisit it at a later time when you're relaxed and ready for another twelve-round knockout bout with your load order.

Ah, sound advice. :thumbsup:

Well, Bashed Patch is causing TES4 to crash again...

I may have been suckered into thinking that I had Bashed Patch activated when really it wasn't.

Now what do I do? I've rebuilt and rebuilt the damned Bashed Patch over and over and...oh well, I will exclude many mods from it. Let's try that.

UPDATE:

I deselected everything except Import Cells and Import Graphics. This SURELY should make the damned thing run!

UPDATE:

Guess what? It did. I'll just add to the contents of Bashed Patch slowly. But at least I've got Weather - All Natural working again.

Edited by VGI

• 2 years later...

I usually find when bash patch crashes the game its when i have the tweaks turned on. I tend to leave those off at all costs. As to its usefulness I can only think merging and leveled lists would be helpful wouldn't they.. Actually i'm not sure merging and leaving a mod activated at the same time is good either. it'll create two copies of the same id won't it, with different id's though because each mod gets its own id. Then you'll have two id's sharing the same texture and mesh???

I usually find when bash patch crashes the game its when i have the tweaks turned on. I tend to leave those off at all costs. As to its usefulness I can only think merging and leveled lists would be helpful wouldn't they.. Actually i'm not sure merging and leaving a mod activated at the same time is good either. it'll create two copies of the same id won't it, with different id's though because each mod gets its own id. Then you'll have two id's sharing the same texture and mesh???

It really helps to have some idea of what you are talking about before posting.

You don't even understand what a Bashed Patch does, what merging a mod does, or basically anything about the program, at all.