A way to prevent companions from taking off?

lonewolfkai

I thought there was a mod that did this already, but no fruit came from searching and inquiring. So, is there a way to prevent companions, such as CM Partners or the like, from taking far away off and leaving you behind in order to pursue a fleeing enemy?

You can use your CM Partners ring to teleport the wayward partners away from combat and back to your position. You can probably use CM partners in-game dialog topics to lower aggression enough that your partners will only fight back if struck first.

Beyond that, you could create a custom spell to add to your companion mod that used the StopCombat command on the specific companion the spell was tailored for. But in some cases, I imagine that after stopping combat, your partner would behold the enemy and rush off to do battle straightway.

You can use your CM Partners ring to teleport the wayward partners away from combat and back to your position. You can probably use CM partners in-game dialog topics to lower aggression enough that your partners will only fight back if struck first.

Beyond that, you could create a custom spell to add to your companion mod that used the StopCombat command on the specific companion the spell was tailored for. But in some cases, I imagine that after stopping combat, your partner would behold the enemy and rush off to do battle straightway.

Well actually, I dont use CM, that was just an example since it's the most popular. But a script sounds like a good idea. Perhaps having it trigger the StopCombat after reaching a certain distance to the PC.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that some more then.

Thanks for the response.

Not to sound flippant, but just don't use companions :)

Seriously. This is one of the reasons I gave up on companions. They have so many annoying (and sometimes dangerous) habits that it makes them more trouble than they're worth.

That said, what you suggest sounds like a solution that should be built into all companion mods by decree of the Mod God. If a companion that's supposed to be with you strays more than "x" feet away then it immediately returns to you, breaking off all activity it thought it was supposed to be doing. This would a go long in making companions more acceptable for me. Frankly, when I give a companion a "follow me" command, I expect that to be obeyed to the letter until such time as I give the companion a different command. Sadly, I have yet to see a companion mod where this seems to be strictly enforced.

Not to sound flippant, but just don't use companions :)

Seriously. This is one of the reasons I gave up on companions. They have so many annoying (and sometimes dangerous) habits that it makes them more trouble than they're worth.

That said, what you suggest sounds like a solution that should be built into all companion mods by decree of the Mod God. If a companion that's supposed to be with you strays more than "x" feet away then it immediately returns to you, breaking off all activity it thought it was supposed to be doing. This would a go long in making companions more acceptable for me. Frankly, when I give a companion a "follow me" command, I expect that to be obeyed to the letter until such time as I give the companion a different command. Sadly, I have yet to see a companion mod where this seems to be strictly enforced.

Companions are too much fun :D Especially my pet dragon. Unfortunatley, he likes to take off after enemies and stometimes disturbs a nest of hornets!

I only use my creature companions and even though they do take off after enemies, they will break off and come to you if you keep heading away from the source of their fascination. Most times....or sometimes. :laugh:

Besides, I don't mind it really as it can lead to some funny situations that I wish I had recorded, but wasn't prepared.

NPC companions just drive me mad, especially having to tell them what to do every five seconds via menus. I'm a loner in my game except for the pets. They at least do what they're told. :)

I agree. Unless properly scripted, your companions will also lose disposition and/or squeal on you if you commit a crime, which is VERY irritating if you're a thief or assassin character.

Pets behave themselves. They still love you and remain faithful, even if you are a criminal!

Though for the life of me I can't figure out how to make my own creature comps, I still don't know how to get them to ignore friendly fire so they don't go hostile on you if you strike them by accident.

Edited by Lehcar

I agree. Unless properly scripted, your companions will also lose disposition and/or squeal on you if you commit a crime, which is VERY irritating if you're a thief or assassin character.

Pets behave themselves. They still love you and remain faithful, even if you are a criminal!

Though for the life of me I can't figure out how to make my own creature comps, I still don't know how to get them to ignore friendly fire so they don't go hostile on you if you strike them by accident.

Make them Player Owned when you give them a reference in the Render Window or add it to their script. If you don't want menus you might like to check out my Creature Companion Tutorial. It looks complicated, but it's made for people who have no CS experience at all and is explained step by step with screen shots and the necessary scripts.

http://savageartistry.darkbb.com/t129-my-simple-creature-companion-tutorial

Edited by Maigrets

I use a mod to help control that. It makes so that you can hit them multiple times without them turning on you. I can't remember the name of it though. I'll look it up when I get home. There's actually a couple of them. I think the one I use is a 5-hitter. But I remember seeing one that had up to 20 hits.