Windows in buildings and outside sounds

sworder01

I Have played a lot of games that when you walk into buildings like in Elder scrolls 4, were the windows are lighted out or have stain glass. In other words, you can not see out side. Is there away that could be done so that when you look though a window you can see the outside? If it is a graphics issue and is too hard to put into the game. Could the light coming from the windows correspond to the time of day and to the weather outside. So that it looks more real. What I mean is when I am in a house if it is dark out, the windows should look dark or if it's day time but cloudy, the light coming from the windows would be less than in bright sunshine. Or if it's thunder and lightning out side you should see the flashes and hear the rain and thunder.

As you can see, I like realism and I really like the idea that there is an Elder scrolls 5 coming out. It looks great so far.

Mods don't work on the Xbox, so if you want mods, you'll have to buy the PC Version.

As for your original question; it is possible, but not a feasible feature in a game like Skyrim. It works well in games with smaller levels, but in a game with as grand scale as Skyrim (or any TES Game), it's as I said, not feasible. :/

That was for the "Looking outside" question. The lighting on the other hand, is very feasible, and is a feature I also very much would like to see in Skyrim.

People, computers are not stone age anymore, they could logically do that nowadays. But you need a awesome computer lol.

For a game like Skyrim, you wouldn't only need an awesome computer, you'd need a super computer! :P

People, computers are not stone age anymore, they could logically do that nowadays. But you need a awesome computer lol.

For a game like Skyrim, you wouldn't only need an awesome computer, you'd need a super computer! :P

Yea, you will need an epic computer. But its not impossible and to be honest i getting kind of tired of companies not attempting to push the limits, but hey Memristors will be out soon we be able to make fantasy simulators lol.

The reason it isn't/won't be done at this point in time is that the vast amount of interior cells existing in a game such as Oblivion and now Skyrim would require too many exterior "facades" to create the illusion of outside objects. We are talking about double or triple the size of all interior cell sizes. That means much greater loading times, double or triple the rendered lights, polygons, shadows and textures and of course the extra time which it would take to make all this... about double or triple the time for each cell. It's not just the computing power it would take, it's the man power too.

Alternatively the devs could make each interior cell part of the exterior game world, thus no transitions or loading times. However, this would result in much greater strain on your computer while inside and outside without any more benefit other than being able to see outside windows and having no load times. It's much better to have load times and greater performance. It would also most likely lead to reduced interior detail...

A linear game, where the player goes down one set path could do this easily. A game like Skyrim can't since it's an open world.