Idea to put magic on equal footing with Melee!

kengiczar

I just realized this is in the wrong forum....I meant to put this under "Skyrim Mod Talk". To be clear this is something I am planning on doing myself.

Weapons (and Armor) improved by Skill level, Enchantments and Improvements at the Grinding Stone (or Workbench).

Magic (Meaning Spells) improved by "Balanced Magic by mysty" and "Destruction Damage Enchantment by Bebop_Monkey_X" but not by improvements.

New Solution: Create a mod that changes how many times you can consume a spell tomb.

If you already know the spell now instead of the game saying "You already have learned this spell" the game will say "Do you wish to consume this tomb and improve <Spell Name>?" and you will say either Yes or No. Eventually you would get a message saying "This spell cannot be improved any further" otherwise you will get a message saying "Knowledge of <Spell Name> increased" and either the base damage of a spell, a spells range, base damage of conjured item, damage/armor/resist of summoned minions, or the level of enemy which the spell could affect will now be higher.

The upside is I think this will be a much easier way to implement spell "Improvement" compared to having to edit a cell and put in new objects. This whole system would run sort of "behind the scenes" and take advantage of how court Wizards restock their tomb supply. Additionally the game already resets loot so trawling through witch or vampire infested caves would be more worth-while for the aspiring spell sword, battlemage or my personnal favorite, the Dreadnaught. In this way you can improve your spells the same way you would gather materials to improve your swords.

So I'm pretty excited thinking about this. I think there could still be a better way, this is just the result of me thinking about it the last few days in between Psychology and Unix courses. Please let me know what you think. The chief attribute I am aiming for with a mod to implement some sort of "Improvement" system is to keep the game-play simple and from a player standpoint I think this does that.

I am considering using this:

Skyrim Script Editor Pro by LuJoSoft

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60575/?

Does anyone have any suggestions for something I "should" be using instead of it? It seems to have quite an exhaustive amount of features reading the description.

Edited by kengiczar