Dragon Age "freezes" pc

Gaoxin

@Thandal, yeah I meant dragon age 2 demo, but I somehow highly doubt that anything will change in the full game, since its the same engine. The only hope I got left is, that dx11 is really disabled in this demo (even tho I was playing it with dx11 on o0?) and that in the final version of da2 dx11 will save my butt. That 8:3x min pattern was only in DA1 with all cores working. Once I disabled a few, I was able to play for a litle longer. I also don't think that its malware or any funny stuff you get when you visit some funny sites I simply dont do. :/ However, I installed windows 7 64bit yesterday, patched everything and tried to run DA1 - same result: freeze. So I would say its not the OS.

concerning DA2: It doesn't freeze after a fix amount of time. Usually it lasts longer that 10minutes. I tried to run it with only 1 core activated (core 3 that is) and I was able to run the game for 30-40 minutes with dx11...I didn't crash here, I just had to quit, but I don't think that my problem will go away only when I leave 1 core active. Well, like I said, DA2 doesn't have a fix time pattern, its somewhat random. A bit over an hour, with 40min or so minimized, was the longest time DA2 was running, but it still froze up when I tried to finish the demo after being afk for 40minutes.

The funny thing is: my old laptop(dual core 2.2, GF 9600M, 3GB RAM, win7 32bit) doesn't have any trouble at running DA 1 or DA 2, but the game looks not that good. :[

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed DA2 today and experienced 2 CTDs but only after I tried to access stuff that was locked lol

It runs very well and although I have still not tested DAO yet, I took off all mods and installed the new drivers for Nvidia and physex (something like that). I will continue testing through the night (was going to do so last night but got tired and gave up). Hopefully the advice given here will help. I have yet to do the core affinity yet, but will do that also. I have a fairly decent rig and can't understand the lagging but hopefully we will get somewhere.

-cleaned cpu and gfx fans

-removed one of 3 ram bars

-switched both external HDDs from eSata ports and connected em to normal sata ports

Was able to run DAO for an hour in fullscreen at highest settings. PC didnt freeze.

I don't know if my problem is solved now and what might fixed it. Most likely the cpu fan...

:)

I agree that it might be mod related, as like a few others, I have copied downloaded files onto a disc and then I load from there to install. When I first installed them it was directly from the internet. My game is heavily modded as well. Getting very frustrated with it all I must say. Anyone comes up with a solution please let me know. I will continue trying bits and pieces on this end and see what happens.