Slow quicksaving.

Benbone

Hello everyone,

I also have this problem of slow quick saving with .bak files.

I use only 8 mods (I just have Skyrim Original with no DLC, maybe more mod when I'll add DLC or buy Legendary edition).

When I delete all my saves files (with a backup first) the first quicksave I made is very quick, then it began to slow (10-15 sec).

I use an HDD to store my documents, and the save folder was originally here. I used mklink /J command to move the folder on my SSD but it doesn't help (maybe a little)...

I tried the Save cleanup video tutorial with no success.

I don't use Mod Organizer, do you think I need it with only 8 mods?

The only solution was Bugnexus's one with Autosave Manager, it's much better but not as fast than manual saving before.

• 7 months later...

Excuse the necro, but this thread is the first thing that pops up on google so I feel it's still relevant.

I spent the better part of a few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my save. Eventually I accidentally deleted the .skse file from one of my saves and suddenly quicksaving over an already existing quicksave was nearly instant instead of the usual 20 seconds.

So I googled a co-save cleaner and found this: https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3786-netimmerse-override-cleaner-skse-co-save-cleaner-utility/

I haven't yet checked if it's removed any needed data (I just left the filter at the default of only the player character); however it dropped my co-save from 1,416KB to 116KB and now hard saves are instant and overwriting quicksaves is nearly instant. Also, I've read that a size of ~100KB is much more usual for a co-save.

lCF3bRN.png

If you're not sure what to put in the filter even after reading the tool's description because you don't know the character's ID just open your game and find the character then open the console and click on them; Their ID should show up somewhere on the screen.

Hopefully this will help most people having this problem as I suspect this is the cause for most of us experiencing this issue.

Edited by Drift91

• 2 weeks later...

[TL;DR Solution] Turn on Local save in MOD ORGANIZER by going Profile > Manage > Select Profile > Check the Local Savegames box.

Then Click Transfer saves > Select your saves > Hit copy.

So I was having save times that would freeze my game for up to 10 seconds at a time. At first I thought it was a consequence of script heavy mods, Dyndolod, or just the hand of gods punishing me for being addicted to skyrim yada yada...

After reading through this thread, the explanation on file conversion for mod organizer made sense.

The [solution] that solved my issue was turning on local saves for my profile in mod organizer.

This has reduced my save times to around a second, back to how it was during vanilla for me.

Hope this helps others sorry if necro thread.

I literally never posted anything on this site but I wanted to thank you for this post, hoping you're still here 2 years later to read it.

• 1 year later...

Excuse the necro, but this thread is the first thing that pops up on google so I feel it's still relevant.

I spent the better part of a few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my save. Eventually I accidentally deleted the .skse file from one of my saves and suddenly quicksaving over an already existing quicksave was nearly instant instead of the usual 20 seconds.

So I googled a co-save cleaner and found this: https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3786-netimmerse-override-cleaner-skse-co-save-cleaner-utility/

I haven't yet checked if it's removed any needed data (I just left the filter at the default of only the player character); however it dropped my co-save from 1,416KB to 116KB and now hard saves are instant and overwriting quicksaves is nearly instant. Also, I've read that a size of ~100KB is much more usual for a co-save.

lCF3bRN.png

If you're not sure what to put in the filter even after reading the tool's description because you don't know the character's ID just open your game and find the character then open the console and click on them; Their ID should show up somewhere on the screen.

Hopefully this will help most people having this problem as I suspect this is the cause for most of us experiencing this issue.

As much as I realize it's always bad form to necro a thread, I was facing a similar problem with minutes-long load times due to bloated saves from NetImmerse Override, and this fix reduced that time to a handful of seconds, so thank you sir, you are a life-saver.

and apologies for the double-post on top of that; I hit the wrong reply button ^^;

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I also have this problem of slow quick saving with .bak files.

I use only 8 mods (I just have Skyrim Original with no DLC, maybe more mod when I'll add DLC or buy Legendary edition).

When I delete all my saves files (with a backup first) the first quicksave I made is very quick, then it began to slow (10-15 sec).

I use an HDD to store my documents, and the save folder was originally here. I used mklink /J command to move the folder on my SSD but it doesn't help (maybe a little)...

I tried the Save cleanup video tutorial with no success.

I don't use Mod Organizer, do you think I need it with only 8 mods?

The only solution was Bugnexus's one with Autosave Manager, it's much better but not as fast than manual saving before.

"The Net Immerse Override section was not found in the provided save file" Im unable to clean mods with this tool, have I done something wrong?

Is everyone on this thread specifically talking about Oldrim, or are others on this thread having issues with SE as well? I'm on SE and I think this tool doesn't work for SE

Edited by Glardian966

• 3 years later...