Graphics Don't Cut It

SansSword

I sincerely hope Bethesda doesn't make an error in focusing too acutely on graphical wow factor via the in-game visuals (in Skyrim and forward) while ignoring a strong, coherent story. Nothing makes a winning RPG to me like a tight, focused, yet expansive and well-written plot. Take 2 examples of games who have not taken this route: Deux Ex 2 (nice eye candy but poor story) and C&C Generals (not an RPG but this game takes the player way out of the traditional genre-territory in exchange for fancy eye-popping visuals). The point here is that a game can focus too much on the graphics and take a player totally outside what they're used to, especially in a franchise series with multiple titles. Halo hasn't changed all that much; Splinter Cell and Metal Gear haven't changed that much. They all stuck to a similar formula to keep the player from losing their bearings from game to game while keeping similar visuals.

Graphics don't need to be the number 1 factor to making a successful RPG. An FPS, maybe so (and yes I am aware the TES series can arguably be an FPS but for the most part, it's a role-playing game). Case in point, look at various Bioware releases; most of them don't feature preeminent graphic engines (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc) but they DO offer incredibly intricate and ADDICTIVE storylines that make the player want to delve deeper and deeper into the constructed world.

Winter of 2009 I bought a DS and a game I had never played before, something some of you may have heard of. . .Chrono Trigger. Of course, I had heard much acclaim about this ancient SNES classic but had just never gotten around to playing it (heck, I played through and owned Chrono Cross before I played its own predecessor). These antiquated 16 bit graphics didn't matter a whit to me. The story and action and battles were always fresh and so well done I couldn't put the game down for a straight four days. I realize I may be in the minority here and that most players probably prefer flashy eye-catching graphics and that is fine.

Just don't sacrifice the story for another Oblivion/Morrowind-esque mess. Those stories were trash. Balancing a good story with decent graphics should be doable. Every time.

If Bioware can do it, so can you

I hereby give you your first kudo.

I've been saying something very similar in the forums for a while now but it's not a widely popular opinion it seems.

In a nutshell, I believe that what makes a good game has very little to do with the quality of its graphics. A well-written story and absorbing, entertaining gameplay for me lend more to an enjoyable gaming experience than leaves that cast shadows.

Like you, I hope Bethesda doesn't sacrifice the things that make games great for me by focusing all their attention on making the snow look ultra-realistic...

...or by relying upon us modders to make their game good for them. But that's a whole other topic...

by looking at the screenshots beth isnt focusing on graphics. they look great but theres no crysis2 level graphics. btw you find 2 group of people when talking about skyrim's graphics, 1 group who is not happy with them since they wanted something like crysis2 level graphics and the other who is happy they dont have pay 1000+ on upgrades or a new pc to play skyrim.

I much prefer for games to have either bad or OK graphics.

That means you don't need to update your system, and the devs can spend more time on more important things.

I would honestly like for all games to have graphics like the N64, but too many people care about eye candy now days.

I'm am very pleased with Skyrim's graphics and I'm on your side to. I want a more elaborate story and lore, rather than some crazy graphics wich allow you to see your footsteps imprinted into the snow you walk on, even if I know how nice that would be to. :thumbsup:

Considering that there is nearly five years in making Skyrim (assuming that it started after Oblivion), I understand the improvement of the graphics, it is a natural part of the gaming industry. Let us begin with Morrowind! Graphics were horrible compared to now, but back in 2002 that is the best I believe that they could do, since MW was very lore heavy and epic story. Oblivion was, lets say a graphical test! Very interesting and short lived story, but which had better graphics than most games of the 2006, which is why it is called a benchmark game.

Skyrim, from the screenshots, looks similar to the Oblivion engine, Gamebryo and havok with major improvements - and the fact that Beth made it their own way!!! With today's young people, graphics is the fuel. Most people never played "bad" graphic games like Morrowind, Daggerfall, or Battlezone(1998 PC game that looks like MW). Everything has to be realistic, and with that goes a good story.

You either get good graphics (Oblivion) or you get epic story (Morrowind). To some one is better than the other, no big deal we all are different. I myself cannot play a game without a somewhat good story. I believe that Morrowind had the best story for a game that I have every played to this day, rivaled closely by Battlezone(PC).

All that to say, I agree that Skyrim need an epic (or close to it) story, and many different side quest so far out there you think "why do I have to do this", that's what keeps you busy. Graphic and story have had enough time to be equally good. This time around I expect a new level of game. One that is both graphically awesome with a very good story or lore heavy one at least.

Most people never played "bad" graphic games like Morrowind, Daggerfall, or Battlezone(1998 PC game that looks like MW)

I agree with you on almost everything you said except one thing. Morrowind's graphics were great at that time. I know that you put bad as "bad", but even so, people that give it a try today can't say the graphics are bad, for a game that old. They're not amazing as breathtaking, but once ingame you simply cannot say that they're bad. I mean, the game has some of the most diversed landscapes I've seen and that alone makes it special. I know not everyone has acces to, or used mods, but once you install a few that improve it's looks it looks 10X better than Oblivion. Everyone is free to have an opinion and I won't argue regarding this subject, but this is what I think. Once again, graphics are not everything, at least for me.