Armor modifies animation...

MarkInMKUK

A while back I installed the Sensual Walks for female NPCs mod. I then had the fun of falling off my chair laughing at a half-plate clad, steel-booted female guard mincing across the cobbles like a transvestite hooker in six-inch heels. OK, so I have since managed to adjust the settings a bit, but...

Is there a way (or even a mod) that would switch animations to suit the armor being worn? A light leather armor would allow a fair degree of hip-wiggle, a chainmail not much less, but stuff a girl in plate mail and you should HAVE to revert to a "manly stride" (or even a downright stomp). With a mod of that kind, you could have a sexy flirty female character, who is all business in armor, yet as feminine as you wish out of it.

As far as I know, it's not possible.

Animations are not hard-coded obviously, but they are set in the CS for NPC races and then left like that. Sexy walks (I think) just replaces the animation files themselves. The game doesn't know any better and plays whatever name comes up. Hence, IC Market in broad daylight resembles my town at night.

It might be theoretically possible to have two versions of each walk animation (sexy and normal), and have a script change the animation on equip. The problem is, that would probably result in every character of that race having it, and most likely crashing since different NPCs in the cell would have different things on.

Hi Megatarius,

I suspect you are right about how the script would need to work, but I don't think the system would crash. Sensual walks already assigns about 10 different animations depending on class of character, so the only change would be during an equip or unequip. Things might get more complex for the player character in 3rd person view, but shouldn't be insurmountable I hope. I guess a good starting point would be an on equip script to spot high heels and change the walk then.

I was concerned that animations applied would apply to everyone in the race. Looks like I'm wrong, and you might be able to do this after all. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Changing anims (dynamically) can be easily done with OBSE's toggleanim. However, doing it "OnEquip" is no solution. You would have to script EVERY armor to do so. It can't be run on a character. And toggled anims don't survive loading a savegame.

I have used a different way in my NoMaaM Theatre mod (to BBB all females a player comes close): run a quest script to regulary check for females in the player's vicinity, and then toggleanim accordingly. There is one little problem: you have to disable/enable the NPC to make it work. And if you are teleported in front of an NPC, or enter a door, you might notice that. And I havn't tried it on the player, because there you have different choices.

OK - so there is no "armor category" tag that can be checked against (fur/leather/chain/steel/glass)?

Bother...

Nearest I can see to a type variable returns either heavy or light - better than nothing though.

No "unarmored" flag though unless someone knows how to be clever :confused:

Edited by MarkInMKUK

I think, there is something even better/easier than distiction between categories: armor rating. And this also tells you wether a character is armored at all. I'm doing that as well in the NoMaam theatre to distinguish between clothing and different armors. Clothings (and possible distinct walks) can also be distinguished by using the clothing value.

Aha! That's hopeful!.

The only skewing factor might be enchanted armor that give too much protection for its type - light armor that gives high enough protection to act as heavy stuff - but maybe a combination of the two values could filter that out.

<thinking furiously>

<grins> I'm not certain a specific call to find out whether a guard has to walk like a hooker or not is "reasonable" - may depend how I phrase the request I guess. Guess it's time to work on my speechcraft :biggrin: