need help with menu script

fg109

I'm a total beginner at modding so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I tried to make a menu to display the stats of my companions but it's not working right. (If it matters, I'm using CM Partners Mod Basic and I know it already has a stats menu but I wanted to try making one of my own anyway.) I'm using an activator for the menu script as recommended here: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/MessageBox_Tutorial

I've followed the instructions there and I have an OnActivate block that sets up all the variables as well as a GameMode block that will display the actual menu. When I try to use it, it runs the OnActivate block (i can see it doing the stuff on the console) but not the GameMode block unless I use the moveto command to move the activator to me. After I move it next to me, I can use the menu just fine and everything works correctly. But I don't see the tutorial saying to do that at all, so am I doing something wrong or did the author just forget to mention it? Anyway, this is my script:

Begin OnActivate

set refpartner to cmPartnersQuest.StatsPartnerRef
set npclevel to refpartner.GetLevel
set npchealthbase to refpartner.GetBaseActorValue Health
set npchealthcurrent to refpartner.GetActorValue Health
set npcmagickabase to refpartner.GetBaseActorValue Magicka
set npcmagickacurrent to refpartner.GetActorValue Magicka
set npcfatiguebase to refpartner.GetBaseActorValue Fatigue
set npcfatiguecurrent to refpartner.GetActorValue Fatigue
set npcencumbrancebase to refpartner.GetBaseActorValue Encumbrance
set npcencumbrancecurrent to refpartner.GetActorValue Encumbrance
set npcagility to refpartner.GetActorValue Agility
set npcendurance to refpartner.GetActorValue Endurance
set npcintelligence to refpartner.GetActorValue Intelligence
set npcluck to refpartner.GetActorValue Luck
set npcpersonality to refpartner.GetActorValue Personality
set npcspeed to refpartner.GetActorValue Speed
set npcstrength to refpartner.GetActorValue Strength
set npcwillpower to refpartner.GetActorValue Willpower
set npcarmorer to refpartner.GetActorValue Armorer
set npcathletics to refpartner.GetActorValue Athletics
set npcblade to refpartner.GetActorValue Blade
set npcblock to refpartner.GetActorValue Block
set npcblunt to refpartner.GetActorValue Blunt
set npchandtohand to refpartner.GetActorValue HandtoHand
set npcheavyarmor to refpartner.GetActorValue HeavyArmor
set npcalchemy to refpartner.GetActorValue Alchemy
set npcalteration to refpartner.GetActorValue Alteration
set npcconjuration to refpartner.GetActorValue Conjuration
set npcdestruction to refpartner.GetActorValue Destruction
set npcillusion to refpartner.GetActorValue Illusion
set npcmysticism to refpartner.GetActorValue Mysticism
set npcrestoration to refpartner.GetActorValue Restoration
set npcacrobatics to refpartner.GetActorValue Acrobatics
set npclightarmor to refpartner.GetActorValue LightArmor
set npcmarksman to refpartner.GetActorValue Marksman
set npcmercantile to refpartner.GetActorValue Mercantile
set npcsecurity to refpartner.GetActorValue Security
set npcsneak to refpartner.GetActorValue Sneak
set npcspeechcraft to refpartner.GetActorValue Speechcraft
set menuactivated to 1
set menunumber to 1
set choice to -1
set working to 1

End

Begin GameMode

if working > 0
set working to 1

if menuactivated == 1
	set menuactivated to 0
	set menudisplayed to 1
	if menunumber == 1
		MessageBoxEX "%n%rLevel %g%r%rHealth %g/%g%rMagicka %g/%g%rFatigue %g/%g%rEncumbrance %g/%g%r%r|Attributes|Combat Skills|Magic Skills|Stealth Skills|Close" refpartner npclevel npchealthcurrent npchealthbase npcmagickacurrent npcmagickabase npcfatiguecurrent npcfatiguebase npcencumbrancecurrent npcencumbrancebase
	elseif menunumber == 2
		MessageBoxEX "ATTRIBUTES%r%rAgility %g%rEndurance %g%rIntelligence %g%rLuck %g%rPersonality %g%rSpeed %g%rStrength %g%rWillpower %g%r%r|Main|Combat Skills|Magic Skills|Stealth Skills|Close" npcagility npcendurance npcintelligence npcluck npcpersonality npcspeed npcstrength npcwillpower
	elseif menunumber == 3
		MessageBoxEX "COMBAT SKILLS%r%rArmorer %g%rAthletics %g%rBlade %g%rBlock %g%rBlunt %g%rHand to Hand %g%rHeavy Armor %g%r%r|Main|Attributes|Magic Skills|Stealth Skills|Close" npcarmorer npcathletics npcblade npcblock npcblunt npchandtohand npcheavyarmor
	elseif menunumber == 4
		MessageBoxEX "MAGIC SKILLS%r%rAlchemy %g%rAlteration %g%rConjuration %g%rDestruction %g%rIllusion %g%rMysticism %g%rRestoration %g%r%r|Main|Attributes|Combat Skills|Stealth Skills|Close" npcalchemy npcalteration npcconjuration npcdestruction npcillusion npcmysticism npcrestoration
	elseif menunumber == 5
		MessageBoxEX "STEALTH SKILLS%r%rAcrobatics %g%rLightArmor %g%rMarksman %g%rMercantile %g%rSecurity %g%rSneak %g%rSpeechcraft %g%r%r|Main|Attributes|Combat Skills|Magic Skills|Close" npcacrobatics npclightarmor npcmarksman npcmercantile npcsecurity npcsneak npcspeechcraft
	endif
endif

if menudisplayed == 1
	if choice == -1
		set choice to GetButtonPressed
		Return
	elseif choice == 4
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set choice to -1
		set working to 0
		Return
	elseif menunumber == 1
		if choice == 0
			set menunumber to 2
		elseif choice == 1
			set menunumber to 3
		elseif choice == 2
			set menunumber to 4
		elseif choice == 3
			set menunumber to 5
		endif
		set choice to -1
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set menuactivated to 1
		Return
	elseif menunumber == 2
		if choice == 0
			set menunumber to 1
		elseif choice == 1
			set menunumber to 3
		elseif choice == 2
			set menunumber to 4
		elseif choice == 3
			set menunumber to 5
		endif
		set choice to -1
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set menuactivated to 1
		Return
	elseif menunumber == 3
		if choice == 0
			set menunumber to 1
		elseif choice == 1
			set menunumber to 2
		elseif choice == 2
			set menunumber to 4
		elseif choice == 3
			set menunumber to 5
		endif
		set choice to -1
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set menuactivated to 1
		Return
	elseif menunumber == 4
		if choice == 0
			set menunumber to 1
		elseif choice == 1
			set menunumber to 2
		elseif choice == 2
			set menunumber to 3
		elseif choice == 3
			set menunumber to 5
		endif
		set choice to -1
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set menuactivated to 1
		Return
	elseif menunumber == 5
		if choice == 0
			set menunumber to 1
		elseif choice == 1
			set menunumber to 2
		elseif choice == 2
			set menunumber to 3
		elseif choice == 3
			set menunumber to 4
		endif
		set choice to -1
		set menudisplayed to 0
		set menuactivated to 1
		Return
	endif
endif
endif

End

I didn't copy the variable declarations since it's large enough already as it is...

BUMP

My problem is that the GameMode block isn't running. Well I know that since the activator it's attached to is in a remote cell and not loaded, it normally shouldn't be running. But in the tutorial, it says that the script should run for 1 frame after you set a variable, and so if you keep setting a variable every frame then it will run. So that's what I tried to do with the "working" variable in my script, but it's not running it even 1 time after I first set the variable in the OnActivate block.

So is the tutorial wrong and this method doesn't work? Or is my script too long to be run in one frame?

Edited by fg109

I figured out what I was doing wrong; it's pretty stupid of me... I set it up so that I activated the script through dialogue, but dialogue is actually one of the menus in the game. And when I tried to activate it through the console, the console is also one of the menus in the game.

In short, the script worked after I added a MenuMode block with the same code I put in the GameMode block.

But now I have an unrelated question... I read on the construction set wiki that the game won't carry out but still process a script even when the condition function returns false. It said a way to get around it was like this:

;; optimized

begin GameMode
   If (somecondition == 0) ;; logical negation
       RETURN
   endif
   (...some inefficient/complex algorithm...)
end

But suppose I had a long script with a lot of blocks of code, each one operating under different condition functions, inside the GameMode block. For example:

if GetCombatTarget == Player
;some long block of code here
endif

if (GetAV Health) < (0.25 * (GetBaseAV Health))
;another long block of code here
endif

If I did as in the example, then as soon as one of the conditions returned false, it wouldn't try to process any of the following blocks of code. So I thought of OBSE. If I use OBSE's label and goto functions, would the game still try to process all the code between them?

Okay, I just thought of an analogy. Let's say that the script is a mall, each block of code is a store, and the game is a customer. From what I understand in the construction set wiki, this customer will inspect every item in every store he passes even if he decides not to buy anything when he enters the store. The return statement used to stop him from looking returns him to the entrance of the mall, and he never gets to the back stores where he might actually decide to buy something.

Is there a way to make it so that if he decides to not buy something at store A, to move him along to store B without letting him inspect all the merchandise at store A?

Edited by fg109

The only way to stop it from processing is to use return, so you can't skip anything. Even with an if branch it still needs to go through find the endif that closes it.

OBSE labels only let you jump backwards, I think, and it would still have to process things like opening/closing if branches.

The only way to stop it from processing is to use return, so you can't skip anything. Even with an if branch it still needs to go through find the endif that closes it.

OBSE labels only let you jump backwards, I think, and it would still have to process things like opening/closing if branches.

OK, thanks for all your help! :thumbsup: