Assistance Please

slave2midna

I've been at it for about 12 hours now and still am having no luck installing choice mods. Things I'd figure to be simple like, Umpa's Sexy walk, or Some really nice armor sets that are suppose to appear in my inventory not working.

I was able to get a body replacer work (exumes), as well as a nifty selection of eye mods (elaborate eyes)...but those are the only 2 working mods I can get to load.

I've manually installed them correctly (assuming its as simple as everyone say) and they show up selectable on the launcher, but when I enter into the game is like they aren't there.

My point is, am I missing something? Is their something like a patch, a mod fix download, or something that I need to install to get a majority of mods to work?

Natural Face, Ren's Beauty Pack, Beautiful People, fail fail fail. Cool armors, Fail, Sexy Walk, Fail, Soya's 4 Hair pack won't even work.

I'd like to get a better modded experience, as I've seen in frequent vids, but if the only mod I can get working is a Female body replacer...well I don't saunter around naked in game so it really doesn't do much for me...

-No, I don't use the Mod Manager, because 80% of the people who make mods don't release Mod Manager versions, and I'm really not familiar with how to "create" those kind of files without the configs.

-Yes, I'm copying the meshes and texture folders over to the data folder for a manual install correctly.

I've downloaded about 30 popular mods, reading comments even to make sure that they work and people enjoyed them, and of them only 2 have worked...so I'm missing something.

I do have it installed in my Program Files folder...but if that would cause 90% of mod fails...that should be posted on the guide... <.<

Edited by slave2midna

first of all, installing the game in the default folder is a really bad choice

many problems have been reported due to this, so you should really install your game in a different folder (it doesn't have to be a different hard drive, just change the path, like C:\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

as for installing the mods, you really should get OBMM, as it is really easy to use, and it beats the default Data Files by miles and miles

also, you should get OBSE, as some mods need it

now, i would assume that you have Archive Invalidation, as you did get some mods to work, so that isn't part of the problem

so all in all, install the game to a different path, install OBMM (and you should also get OBSE), then install the mods that you want (a few at a time), activate them in OBMM, and launch the game (through OBMM), to see if they work

this should hopefully solve your problems

So...Can I install a mod using OBMM even if it doesn't have a OMOD file?

And thank you soooo much for the information. I will try to reinstall my game in a different location.

Also, what is OBSE? I tried looking it up in google, but got something totally off. Just need to know what the letters stand for.

well, Ferryt did answer your questions, but i would like to add a little information

it is true that OBMM can install mods that aren't OMOD files

not only this, but you can make your own OMOD files using OBMM, and it's really really simple

the OMODs probably won't be releasable like that (because for that, i think you need to write some specific scripts and such), but this is perfectly usable, and a really good method of installing a mod you might not want to keep (as long as it doesn't come as an exe file)

to do this, in OBMM, click on Create, and follow the simple instructions in the screen you'll get (it is really simple and self explanatory)

i would recommend you to use the Add Archive button, and use an archive (rar, zip, 7zip) file, as these are usually the easiest to use, and mods usually come as archives, so you don't even need to extract them for this process (though it is recommended, just to check the folder paths, to make sure that everything is in place)

OMODs will appear on the right side of OBMM, while mods installed in another fashion (manually or through an executable file) will only show on the load order, on the left side of the OBMM screen

it is recommended that you read a little on the colors that OBMM gives to OMODs, as it may save you problems in the future

as for OBSE, it is indeed as Ferryt has said

and you can easily find it here (i searched OBSE in google, and this was the first result)

While you're at it, Wrye Bash wouldn't be a bad thing to have. The more utilities you have for modding your game, the better (I've come to find). As the number of mods you install climb higher, you'll need some way to manage them other than just OBMM. A lot of people probably use Wrye Bash in conjunction with OBMM, which is what I did, but it's a requires a little work to get installed if you don't already have Python installed.

Happy modding!

Edited by AltreU