Oblivion Mod Detectives

Povuholo

hmmmm i got a request which might not seem very clear.

to put it simple - i fail at oblivion.

at first my character feels definitely too weak no matter the class. as im lover of those quest chains to accomplish one big goal, i definitely go for mages guilds quest. you know a quest where you have to get an amulet from a fort for that insane old female mage? thats just one example of quests i screw up right away. there are loads of armored characters there and they are pretty much impossible to defeat. blocking doesnt help much at this level, because block is at very low level (no matter the class). sneaking through might work, however at this rate id be sneaking through all the game and get no loot from enemies forever. (thats what happened to my assassin character who could stay invisible 24/7, yet he couldnt kill anyone except bosses maybe).

at these levels magic is extremely weak as well. damagewise, effect wise etc..

so while the game feels quite cool, there are always some random obstacle that i cant get through.

and then i resort to god mode cheat :| and while i get very good weapons... i always wonder... even if i didnt use god - how would i kill without dieing? the beginning of countless Trolls in caves at fighters guilds quest is a perfect example of what i have in mind.

my most succesful character of all time was the assassin. he relied on stealth to get through pretty much everything. killed mages in 1-2 hits, had extreme problems vs daedric monsters and armoured warriors tho. so pretty much all i was doing was something like dark brotherhood missions (the only thing was enjoyable from the beginning to the end). i sneak through everything, go to the main boss which carries the quest item, kill him with couple of extremely powerful staffs i collected throughout the game , picked the item and ran off.

i dont think i even need to explain how i got through oblivion gates.

what i tried? francescos, some other level adjusting mods.

deadly reflex... while the idea was great, sounded like dark messiah (the game i totally liked, because it was mostly about the skill of the player, not character), but it still kinda failed for me. the dodge would lock your character in place (i hate lock ups while doing moves in any game), and if you time it bad - you are screwed. oh and those damn bastards who dodge my fireball 100% of time... >.<

are there any mods that change the game drastically? or am i out of luck?

if so, maybe there is some guide that could make my game enjoyable atlast : /

• Replies 14.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What you should do is lower your difficulty slider and rise it up as you level up and gain more powerful spells/items. at levels 1-5 I played at the easiest settings, after lv5, I changed the difficulty slider to about 20% of max. After that, went till lv15 or so, took the slider up to 50%. lv15-30 went with that and then raised it to 75% and at lv 50- current 117 been at max difficulty, to provide a challenge.

Basically you just need to find the intervals for your own playstyle at which you raise the difficulty.

What you should do is lower your difficulty slider and rise it up as you level up and gain more powerful spells/items. at levels 1-5 I played at the easiest settings, after lv5, I changed the difficulty slider to about 20% of max. After that, went till lv15 or so, took the slider up to 50%. lv15-30 went with that and then raised it to 75% and at lv 50- current 117 been at max difficulty, to provide a challenge.

Basically you just need to find the intervals for your own playstyle at which you raise the difficulty.

hmm does difficulty slider affect the game so much?

also it always seemed to actually increase the difficulty of the game when you decrease the difficulty. how so? lets say you need to increase destruction skill. since enemies are easier to defeat - your skill level with be lower.

damn i hate grind... : /

First are you using mods that make the game harder to start with? MMM, OOO, Fran for instance all can make the game harder. Also, you really do need to make sound choices when you start. If you are going to be a mage recognize some basics and choose the race carefully, design a mage class(I drop alchemy for blade for example), and get a mod that helps MAGES such as Less Annoying Magic Experience or the Midas Magic mod. Lets face facts, Magic is seriously boned early with upgrades being painful to come by compared to the fighters who can pretty much depend on getting better gear from the dead.

i got frans and i also got midas (also many others like deadly reflex etc) however midas spells arent really easy to make at the beginning of the game. and when you dont even know what every spell does... its even more complicated. is less annoying magic experience mod really recommended? does it change the gameplay of a spellcaster right from the beginning?

as for character building im pretty sure i know what im doing in that part of the game.

however last time i wanted to make a... lol well... jedi type of character. block, blade, pretty much everything else in magic. probably added stealth too.

didnt work too well : ( i guess i demand a gameplay style out of a game that doesnt offer it.

Well you might want to try Supreme Magicka or Mighty Magic if you can use OBSE. I can't due to my game version. Both up the power of magic and in some cases quite a bit. If you want to start a bit differently look at Arrive by ship which can give you a bit of a boost at the start if you want to buy some gear etc to help without going nuts with the cheat commands.

looking for a mod or mods to change the background color of the items screen.

The original mod to do this was DarkUI it was combined with DarnUI as DarkUI Darn and there are more than a few texture versions:

Dark Blue

Black and Red

Black and Gold

Plus a few others here and there. These likely do a bit more than you asked for but should at least handle what you wanted. I would have linked DarnUI as well but it doesn't change the screen colors.