Serious Mistake I made with mods (PLEASE HELP)

Conv1ct1on

whalecakes, he made a mistake in the download dialog and inadvertently associated the .esp filetype with a program to open it. I've done that, too, by accident, so I know what a PITA it can be.

Conv1ct1on, I tried to intentionally associate .esp files with the CS just to see what would happen. CS crashes, of course, which is probably expected behavior, since it's not loading Oblivion.esm by default. I don't see it being a problem, though. Just don't choose to "open" the file in your download window. You can still disassociate it from the CS, of course. The simple solution here ... you never open an .esp by clicking on it, but always do it within CS.

Okay, but that has nothing to do with anything because .esp files are never opened by anything. The construction set has its own loader for them; nothing actually opens them like you would an image or text file. So... associating the .esp files with something does not get in the way of downloading or editing or using them.

If you associate a file with a program to open it the Windows download window will default to using that program instead of downloading to disk. That's the problem that Conv1ct1on was having. I'm sure that Microsoft considers this a "feature" since it makes it simple to view media files before saving them to disk, but for most people it's really more of an annoyance since it requires an additional click of the mouse to override what Windows thinks you want to do. I think there's a way to change this behavior in the registry, since I recall doing something to fix this with my Vista computer, but I don't remember what it was.

It doesn't auto-run them. What it does is to set a runnable file to run by default when you hit the <Enter> key, so if you get carried away you can easily wind uploading a file into a program when what you wanted to do was save it. If that program is set to actually auto-run/display a file it loads, then it will do so without the user's intervention. Good old Windows. I haven't had that problem downloading files from Nexus with my new computer because I accidentally set the download window to auto-download everything by default and I don't even see that window any more. I'd actually like to get it back, just so I'd have some visual confirmation that a download has actually started, but I haven't dug into the registry, yet, to see how to fix what I broke.

...so in other words it is as I said and does not actually affect your ability to save the file. It's not doing anything without the user's intervention, you're telling it to open the thing when you hit enter.

Also, not seeing the download prompt is a large problem because you are not choosing where to download things to, or whether to download them at all.

Edited by whalecakes

First, do not open the file, save it somewhere. If you don't tell windows where to save it saves to a default location. This can vary depending on which browser you use. Look in the help for your browser if you do not know. You can also change where it saves each file to in most browsers.

Then you need a file extractor program as all mods are downloaded in a zipped format. I use the FREE 7-zip http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579

Here are the instructions for associating zipped files to 7-zip so you can automatically open them to be unzipped after they have been saved

http://thestormravenlibrary.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=121