Dead Money not all companions togheter?!?

EViLKeNn

Not exactly. Followers joining requires not only changing the Game Settings, but also editing the Dialogue Topics that involve asking a companion to join.

I'm more concerned with fixing the break in Unlimited Companions that Dead Money causes. That would depend on what exactly the change is that Dead Money makes that breaks the Unlimited Companions mod. If we can figure out what's causing the breaking, we can correct it. But I'm no good at the more complex forms of modding, like script-writing.

I sent a message to the guy who made the Improved Companions mod. Hopefully he can help us, but he's been missing from the Nexus for a week or two as well...

Edited by Cyberweasel89

Dead Money uses a completely different script and code structure for recruiting followers than New Vegas. This is why olegbl's Unlimited Companions mod doesn't work with Dead Money. The Dead Money script is in fact much simpler than the New Vegas script.

The way I understand it, the New Vegas script runs a check on each possible companion to see if they are actively following the PC, whenever a dialog, quest or teleport script is run. The code for this method is quite lengthy. The new DM script on the other hand sets a variable reference point (ref rCurrentFollower) to the recruited companion, then when a script (such as a dialog, quest or teleport script) checks for your companion, it needs only to check the ref rCurrentFollower variable to see that it is set, for instance, to NVDLC01DeanRef. When you have no active companions the reference is set to 0, along with the the bHaveCompanion variable.

The newly created No Companion Limit - Dead Money mod (mine) simply alters the bHaveCompanion variable script to always stay at 0. This allows you to recruit more than one follower because the script will check the bHaveCompanion variable and see that is 0 (implying that you have no other followers) and mark your newly recruited companion as a follower.

HOWEVER, there is an inherent problems in this simple fix, in that the rCurrentFollwer reference will always be written over by your most recently recruited follower. So dialog or quest quest scripts involving your followers will only recognize your most recently recruited follower. Also, when you lose your most recently recruited follower the rCurrentFollower reference will be reset to 0 EVEN IF you have other followers in your party. In oder to remedy this you must reset ref rCurrentFollower by dismissing and then re-recruiting one of your followers. The rCurrentFollower reference will then be set to that companion and dialog and quest scripts will now recognize that follower as your companion.

One thing to note is that in Dead Money, when dismissing a companion they will teleport instantly to Villa Fountain. You will not be given a chance to re-recruit that follower. You must return to the fountain to recruit them. For this reason, reseting you rCurrentFollower reference by dismissing and re-recruiting a follower should be done at the Fountain. Unless you don't mind going all the way back there to get them.

No Companion Limit - Dead Money can be found here:

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40699

I hope some of this info was useful!