Quest Dialogue Not Showing

HavenofDarkness

Alright, I'm at my wits end here. I have followed three different tutorials on how to add quest dialogue into Oblivion. I am following these instructions to the dime and nothing's happening. After two days I decided to ask around on here.

This is where I am at in the CS.

I make an NPC for the purpose of the mod. She is supposed to be selling a house. Upon starting the game, a quest automatically goes into the log informing you that you need to talk to her. All that works so far. She's in the game and you get the quest prompt.

So in "topics" I added a new dialogue ID, created a topic and a response for it, and assigned the GetisID to her. i had wanted for the quest to update to the next part after speaking to her but nothing is coming up at all in her topics except for "rumors" of course and the topic for "Give a Gift" which I don't think is interfering.

So I'm stuck...am I missing a step here? I am completely new to adding quests and dialogue obviously but I just can't seem to get past this.

Edited by HavenofDarkness

I'm no modder, but I vaguely remember something about needing to set a character to be "playable" to get dialogue to work - or is that only for custom races?

I don't understand. Is your mod still broken? Or is it working now?

Reading over the thread. I don't see where you ever used the command "AddTopic." You could place this in the script at the same place you give the quest message to the player. You must always add a topic, unless it has been added elsewhere to another NPC. The exception is GREETING. NPCs start out with this topic. But it is treacherous. Don't rely solely on it, because it can break your quest. NPCs might randomly use vanilla GREETINGs or use GREETINGs from another mod.

Also pay attention to quest priority. Your quest should have a higher priority number than the others, so that it wins conflicts, but you should carefully construct it so that it doesn't conflict with anything important in the vanilla game. (Like crime or the main quest.)

Thank you. I did get it going usingI "greeting". And my quest is a misc quest so the priority isn't too high or too low. I will try the add topic again instead of greeting. I had tried it before and it didn't work but that may have been because my quest condition player value was set to 0 when it should have been 1.