Asus Xonar DS Sound Card

Win764 HP on SDD

DATA of HDD

Oblivion:

Game of the Year Deluxe (all DLC) - Steam

Installed via Steam on E drive.

Mods:

No

Right, so wanted to get back into Oblivion after giving my copy away two years ago. Downloaded a pirate (boo hiss e.t.c.) installed, but was getting crashes all over (with and without mods), so uninstalled and forgot about it. Then Skyrim trailers hit and I remembered the fun I had, and I purchased the Steam version. Now with no mods, it crashes in the prison straight after the guy in the other cell starts talking.

Anyone got some light they can shed on this?

Thanks

EDIT: Off to work now, so can't test further, but seemed fine when I piped the audio through the G35 Headset (USB). When I get home I'll try the speakers on the on board sound instead of the sound card. That should help narrow it down.

EDIT2: Managed to find 5 minutes before I left. Works fine on On Board sound, so seems to be a sound card issue. Any suggestions on what to try to get it working when I get home? I'd rather use the sound card if I can.

Thanks

Edited by Ajhayter

When you deleted the ...er...unofficially sourced version, did you also delete the save games directory in My Documents/Games/Oblivion? If not, you will still have the Oblivion.ini from the old crashing version, and it may well cause problems. It may even be pointing to a directory which no longer exists, to look for resources.

Delete the Oblivion.ini from that directory, and restart Oblivion, that should recreate the Oblivion.ini file with default settings, looking at the new installation. If that doesn't help, you may have to try Bben's Complete Uninstall/Reinstall instructions. That will clear out the registry and give you a fresh start.

Sadly the rule is - you get what you pay for.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

When you deleted the ...er...unofficially sourced version, did you also delete the save games directory in My Documents/Games/Oblivion? If not, you will still have the Oblivion.ini from the old crashing version, and it may well cause problems. It may even be pointing to a directory which no longer exists, to look for resources.

Delete the Oblivion.ini from that directory, and restart Oblivion, that should recreate the Oblivion.ini file with default settings, looking at the new installation. If that doesn't help, you may have to try Bben's Complete Uninstall/Reinstall instructions. That will clear out the registry and give you a fresh start.

Sadly the rule is - you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I did a full clean (documents/my games and registry) of the "acquired" version.

I'm at work now but I managed to run it on the on board sound before I left. It works fine with the on board sound, and also works fine on the USB G35 headset, so I'm guessing the engine doesn't like the Asus sound card.

I can look into that in more detail when I get home, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I'd rather use the sound card if I can.

Edited by Ajhayter

I guess you could try some of the sound tweaks - maybe the card can't handle enough sound channels. other than that, it's over to other people to help I'm afraid.

The problem is that they removed DirectMusic and DirectSound from DirectX, effectively disabling any form of hardware acceleration making your soundcard useless.

Not sure how to fix with Xonar card, but you have to translate DirectX calls to OpenAL ones. Check on the Asus website!

The problem is that they removed DirectMusic and DirectSound from DirectX, effectively disabling any form of hardware acceleration making your soundcard useless.

Not sure how to fix with Xonar card, but you have to translate DirectX calls to OpenAL ones. Check on the Asus website!

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of that issue. You've certainly pointed me in the right direction in any case.

I've grabbed a download of the manual for the card and it states to activate the DS3D GX mode before starting EAX or DS3D HW games, so I'll give that a try and report back tonight (and then reinstall all the mods. At least they are all compiled in OMOD's now so it's just click and wait).

EDIT:

Reporting in, works fine when Xonar is in GX mode. Thanks for the pointer!

Edited by Ajhayter