Should people endorse by comment?

Wadarkhu

I'm referring to the "I have endorsed" -thing. It's cool to know if anyone you know endorses a mod, but on second thought when I read mod comments I'd like to find important notes or hints or etc. discussion about the mod.

Do you think endorsing by comment (in addition to just clicking it) is a good policy?

I think its the best policy.

I like to know why people endorse mods, I dont want people endorsing just because it has a lot of chicks in a mod or something stupid.

Endoring also sohws if the files have been used in another mod in my case, I do modders rescources for FNV so if someone endorses, its a sign that they have used my items ......usually.

Personally when I endorse a mod, I don't comment unless I have something specific I want to mention. A particular feature I really liked, or something I didn't like despite the fact that overall I enjoyed the mod enough to endorse it. I don't see the point in a comment that just says, "Awesome mod, thanks!" Then again, if I were a mod author I'd probably treat each of those little comments like a chunk of gold. I do author things other than mods and I know every time somebody takes a moment to comment on what I've released, I get a little thrill, even if the comment is something dumb. And since Oblivion would be nothing without its mod community, I'm willing to wade through all the "Awesome mod!" comments when looking at a mod, because I know those comments bring so much joy to the authors. More joy = more mods! That has to be a good thing.

I like to see the comments. Very often, I see that an endorsement is actually quite meaningless and you would never know without the comment. Time and again I see endorsements such as `I have not yet tried this mod, but it sounds great', or `I had to fix the mod with the construction set/needed to use the console to complete a quest, but the final reward is really good'. If you see enough of these, you know you can ignore a high number of endorsements on a mod.

I sort of wish the system would prevent you from endorsing a mod or giving it a thumbs down if you do not type in a brief explanation.

I have one mod that got a thumbs down for a "mod conflict." The disgruntled downloader didn't leave a comment, so I have no idea what mod is conflicting with my mod, so I will never be able to make a fix or a patch.

I personally don't mind people endorsing without commenting as there isn't much point in saying it's working as expected. However, if somebody gives a negative endorsement a reason should be given, if only to be able to fix the issue. Normally the issue seems to be with the person downloading, rather than the mod itself (OBSE installation issue, etc.). If so, the comment could show others there isn't actually an issue with the mod itself and would not discourage them downloading it.

Ideally I wouldn't mind seeing a method of removing negative endorsements, much like the comment system using reputation. People could agree/disagree with the negative endorsmenents and this way be removed if it's wrong (or out of date because of an update).