Game crashes upon save.

timmystwin

I have several mods, and use FOSE. I assume my load order is right as i only have fellout, trees and weapons ones. It worked fine with them for a month.

I installed a Few more mods, and they may have caused it, but even with deactivating and uninstalling them it happens.

it just crashes consistantly on saving. This is with auto saves, quick saves, and Normal saves. New saves too.

Any ideas? I suspect corrupted files, but i dont wanna have to re-install.

Do you have archive invalidation enabled in FOMM (or are using Archive Invalidation Invalidated mod, which I don't recommend)? Did you build a merged patch? If so, have you kept it updated whenever you made changes to your installed and activated mods?

• 2 weeks later...

yea what are the current theorys on this problem?

ive started getting this (basically the same symptoms mentioned here, well that how it started, but now its any saves, after continuing from a previous savegame) The exploding fix/trick appears to be persistent til you restart the game, but really wanto know what the problem is

i use a merged patch with fo3edit, and have uninstalled the last half dozen mods added, repatched it and disabled quicksaves and deleted them. any other advice?

Edited by nisen

IF you haven't already done so, load a game, go into a relatively small enclosed cell (like whatever dwelling you have, but anything else like a house or tunnel or whatever will do), wait for 72 hours (sleep, whatever), THEN try to save and see how you go.

I had a problem similar to this, when I fiddled around with several mods but played fast'n'loose with the three day load thing. Worth a try, if you haven't already thought of it.

This problem has also just resurfaced for me as well. Happens predictably upon exiting the satellite station in Broken Steel. I have not added any mods from before (I currently use the GOTY DLC's, the Unofficial fixes for them, and RH Iron sights, nothing else). The problem only seems to happen when I exit and try to fast travel or save. I will try the "suicide solution" while standing outside, because it does not work if I try it before exiting the building. I can't tell what has gone wrong. I was having all kinds of CTDs, but they more or less stopped when I forced the game to recognize only 1 core and doubled the sized of my virtual memory. (After those fixes, I was able to play for hours at a time without crashing.)

IF you haven't already done so, load a game, go into a relatively small enclosed cell (like whatever dwelling you have, but anything else like a house or tunnel or whatever will do), wait for 72 hours (sleep, whatever), THEN try to save and see how you go.

thanks, ive given it a go but doesnt affect it. Freakin wierd problem and wierder 'fix' to use the explosive, and freakin annoying it has to be done every single time I load the game.

How many saves do you have in your My Documents\My Games\Fallout 3 folder?

about 50 atm but suspect it could be the size of each save (18MB) which is triple what the game starts out with; and after using the explosive fix, it can write full saves in a split second (faster than normal)

but was messing around back and forth between saves before it started so that mighe triggered it, like theyre all corrupted now

Edited by nisen

That is still a lot of frellin' saves.

also, looking at a backup from awhile ago, all my saves were FOS files but the majority of them now include a FOS and a TMP file , the most recient save now has no FOS but two TMP, and another has 3 TMP and one FOS, wierd. A couple only have a FOS, but still corrupted... all up was about 20 saves at close to 1GB

eedit; have found a clean on from only 3 days ago, result :) was in a backup made when i first noticed it (to reduce the size of the save folder lol) so wasnt loaded. proconsu1, thanks for the suggestion, got me on the right track.

fwiw the explosive tricks best used as soon as you load it cause your spawned straight back to that point and appears to stabilise it til you exit the game. Only side effect is it could double or triple the storage mentioned above and feel stupid starting every session like that, wasnt worth it for me.

Edited by nisen